Skip to main content

Rug of Ages

While the Obama's were on vacation... Which one? The last one. ...POTUS had his office renovated. Among the changes was a new carpet, complete with historical quotes which run around the edge of the rug.

But the Washington Post reports a mistake was made. The quote "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" has been attributed to Martin Luther King. Turns out King, who used the phrase often, neglected to cite it's source. According to the Post it was first uttered by Theodore Parker "an antebellum American reformer...abolitionist, Unitarian Minister and Transcendentalist thinker".

Where's POTUS? Not another vacation!

But what the Washington Post neglected to report, which we're pleased to share exclusively after long and exhaustive research, was there were other errors on the carpet, not to mention his dog Bo's fresh little"gift" on the new floor covering.

Theodore Parker's better known brother Fess Parker is also quoted, or should we say misquoted with "Don't forget the beer." The fact that he was portraying Davy Crockett at the time didn't seem to dawn on the carpet makers.

Others apparently cited are Mrs. Abraham Lincoln with, "Apart from that, I quite enjoyed the play."

Nathan Hale makes an appearance with, "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country but, hey, guys if I don't get a cigarette I'm gonna die."


Former President John F. Kennedy's immortal words are embroidered in the rug "Marilyn, Bobby and I were wondering if you'd be interested in a threesome."


Canadian-born game show host Monty Hall was fittingly chosen because of the number of exits in the Oval Office. "Do you want door #1, door #2 or door #3?


Leonard Nimoy makes an appearance with his insightful "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic circuit using stone knives and bearskins."

One of the President's favourite movie heros is also quoted.  John Wayne had a keen insight into how government works, "When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow." 


And finally, from the world of music, the POTUS has chosen an apt line first uttered by Gerry Garcia, "What a long strange trip it's been."


The President's wife, Michelle, was said to be upset over the lack of any reference to the right to bare arms.

This post originally appeared at The Parody Files, a well-known dufus reprobate associate.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great job weaving a Canadian into the rug. I wonder what our version would look like? Sadly I can;t really remember too many memorable things that Canadian Prime Ministers have uttered. - G
nonamedufus said…
G: "Fuddle Duddle" Pierre Trudeau
"You had an option, sir" Brian Mulroney
"The Liberals are the flying saucers of politics" John Diefenbaker
"I get sick... not because of drink [but because] I am forced to listen to the ranting of my honourable opponent." John A. MacDonald

Shall I continue?
Donnie said…
Only thing missing from that rug is Hillary Clinton's face stitched tightly in place with Bill's shoe laces.
nonamedufus said…
Don: Um, what are you trying to say Don? You know I left out Bill's quote: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman." And Hillary's quote: "You're sleeping on the couch, asshole."
Leeuna said…
LOL @ Don's comment! Love the reference to Michelle's bare arms. Funny stuff, Dufe.
nonamedufus said…
Leeuna: Yep, gotta love that Don. Glad you enjoyed the post.
Anonymous said…
You hit the funny nail on the head...again! In true Nomie style!

And I don't know if it's good or bad that I couldn't stop snorting at Mrs. Lincoln's quote.

"Apart from that..."

hee hee hee
nonamedufus said…
Quirks: Nomie is as Nomie does. *snort, snort*
00dozo said…
So, does POTUS have to dress up to exit Door #1, #2 or #3?
nonamedufus said…
00dozo: Some might say he already looks like a clown. I didn't say that, though. (I lie like a rug - hahaha)
commoncents said…
I'm glad I found your blog!! Keep up the great work!!!

Steve
Common Cents
http://www.commoncts.blogspot.com

ps. Link Exchange??
nonamedufus said…
commoncents: I'm glad you enjoy the blog. My blog roll's limited to humour blogs and even at that I've just cut it back. Don't think I'll be making any additions just now, sorry.
You've really been cutting the rug lately with these puns, NoName. Good thing you're good at it, or you'd come unravelled.
nonamedufus said…
Mike: Go on, go on. Don't leave me hanging by a thread.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies