Skip to main content

Sports and Sensitivity


Yesterday was another day of football in the Dufus household. Well, for one of us. I'm a long-time NFL fan. Not die-hard mind you; not a fanatic. But I love to watch the game. So when Sunday rolls around, anyone that knows me knows where to find me. In front of the TV.

I don't track stats so I don't know who has most yards rushing, most interceptions, most TDs and that kind of stuff. I don't know all the combatants; only a few marquee players like the Manning brothers of Indianapolis and New York, Giselle Bundchen's husband in Foxboro and Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger and others famous for their notoriety like Michael Vick, Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco.

And I enjoy the pre-game shows. Hell, that's where I get my information. I usually start with Chris "Boomer" Berman on ESPN at 11:00 and flip over to J.B. and the boys on CBS at noon. I used to watch the Fox pre-game show but I got tired of Terry Bradshaw and when host James Brown jumped networks a couple of years back, I went with him.

I watch football for the articles

Now I don't watch the Sunday night game, or for that matter Monday night's game. I limit myself to the pre-game shows and the double-header Sunday afternoon. I figure 8 consecutive hours of football, once a week, is enough.

So don't worry, honey, I'm not about to start watching a double-header of college ball all day Saturday. I wouldn't watch THAT much football. Heaven's no, that's when they run the triple-header of NHL games. Hell, you think I'm insensitive or something?

Comments

Moooooog35 said…
I was upstairs yesterday when I heard my wife screaming from the downstairs living room:

"HIT HIM! HIT HIM!! YES!! INTERCEPTION!!"

..and it wasn't our team (Patriots) she was watching. She was rooting for Baltimore because they were playing Indy and - well - no one wants to see Peyton Manning happy.

At that moment, I remembered why I married her.
nonamedufus said…
Moooooog: Alas, Peyton was happy. Me too. At least the Patriots won.
Me-Me King said…
This is what I took away from yesterday's football frenzy.....

Kurt is hurt!!!

It's tough being a Cardinals' fan.
nonamedufus said…
Me-Me: And it's tough being a quarterback. He wasn't the only QB pulled because of injuries yesterday. It's an extremely rough game.
Megan said…
I usually watch all day Sunday and the night and Monday night games too. I'm still bitter that Time Warner Cable doesn't carry the NFL Network, so I miss out on Thursday games.

I agree CBS is the better pre-game. CBS seems to have fewer commercials than Fox, as well.
I watch football for the articles, too. The more articles the better. And I agree with you that you can't football interfere with hockey. On the hierarchy of sports, the NHL trumps the NFL any day, and I'm not even Canadian. I'm like an honorary Canadian.
nonamedufus said…
Megan: Ah, you know the secret of the way to a man's heart...through his couch.
nonamedufus said…
Mike: How about basketball? That game was invented by a Canadian, eh.
Donnie said…
I watched some Saints Tampa Bay yesterday, and apparently a cameraman was in love with the Tampa Bay cheerleaders. Before the 3rd quarter ended, I was in love with them too. Damn!

word veri: backer
nonamedufus said…
Don: Damn, I must be watching the wrong games. The cameramen keep following the players.
Phillipia said…
I do not watch a lot of football...
the Bucks on Saturday, the Browns on Sunday; except the Browns do not play anymore - they just sort of take up space and still get paid for it. I wish I could learn from them. Peyton PHlaCe insists I do something productive for my paycheck...
nonamedufus said…
Phillipia: Ain't life a bitch.
Don said…
I watched some Saints Tampa Bay yesterday, and apparently a cameraman was in love with the Tampa Bay cheerleaders. Before the 3rd quarter ended, I was in love with them too. Damn!

word veri: backer

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies