Skip to main content

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

This "scary" story might have been better told last week during Humor Blogger Dot Com's Halloween Carnival. But last week was for frighteningly funny tales, not ones that bring you down.

The shock and "awe, shit" has passed...somewhat. My hematologist called me in to his office two-and-half weeks ago and it wasn't for a game of dominoes. Two years ago, almost to the day, I underwent a bone marrow transplant. It was the termination of a long six months of chemotherapy and was intended to rid my body of the cancerous multiple myeloma. Well, it's back.

This development is not uncommon and I shouldn't be surprised. As the doctors explained it to me, I'll always have multiple myeloma - it's just a matter of degree of severity. That's the bad news. The good news is that while multiple myeloma isn't curable it is containable. Nevertheless it's a bummer. Ironically, with all the twists and turns this blog has taken over the last two and-a-half years - it started out as a vehicle to keep my family up to date about my trials and tribulations on the state of my health - it looks like both the blog and I have come full circle. If you want a quick tour of my first encounter, the posts I wrote back then are collected here. I restarted chemo two weeks ago. My third session's today. Looks like I'll undergo another bone marrow transplant some time in the new year.

I intend to do periodic updates about my bout with the big C but I hope it won't overtake my usual blog content. Like they say: humour is the best medicine! I may miss a day or two here and there because the side effects of multiple myeloma and the chemo drugs I'm on to treat it - from past experience - tend to knock a fella out from time to time.

For now, though, for those of you without first-hand experience in these kinds of things, I've made a helpful little list.

Cons of chemo:
- anemia, fatigue
- pain
- insomnia
- nausea
- loss of weight
- loss of appetite
- loss of hair

Pros of chemo:
- I can sleep anywhere in the house, anytime!
- I can spend the day immobile on the couch, with an excuse!
- now I can spend 5 more hours a day on the computer...on the couch!
- if I throw up on the couch, I can move to the recliner. I was spending too much time on that couch anyway.
- I can wear all those pants I bought 2 years ago when I lost 70 pounds!
- hey, I can lose those 70 pounds I gained back over the last two years! And we'll save a bundle on grocery bills!
- oh boy, I won't have to get a haircut for 7 months!

Ya see, there is an upside to all this *he tried to say convincingly*.

;)

Comments

Hey, Dufus... that sucks! But I'm glad you shared. I had no idea you were fending of cancer. I'm off to read more about multiple myeloma now. Hugs to you and yours.
Love, CatLady
Me-Me King said…
Dufus, I am so sorry to hear you are having to deal with this situation. I wish for you the best of health.
Moooooog35 said…
Sending positive thoughts your way.

Also, I'm sprinkling in some thoughts I have of lesbian orgies...just to take the edge off.

You're welcome.
Donnie said…
I remember a little about this from something I read before on your blog. Damn John, best of luck to you buddy. I'm glad that you'll be staying in touch regularly and filling us in. Good luck and I'll be looking forward to more nonamedufus!
Now I'm going to moooooog's house. I understand he's having some kind of "get together."
Anonymous said…
Aw Noname!

{hugs}

I think you probably know from my blog that I have dealt with the big C as well.

Chemo sucks. Majorly!

But I was introduced these really cool, new (to me) barf bags! I hope they have them up there in the great white north!

Seriously, I will keep you in my prayers.

Cancer sucks, dear friend, it just sucks!

I'm glad to hear you'll still try to post from time to time! I'll be watching for your posts Noname!

word veri: lunec (how appropriate for me being a loonatick and all!)
Trukindog said…
Wow dude I didn't know any this but Im glad to know you just keep smilin thru it all. I wish ya the best bud.
nonamedufus said…
CatLady: You're very kind. I'm touched. Thanks.
nonamedufus said…
Me-Me: Thanks for the kind wishes, Margo.
nonamedufus said…
Moooooog: Now that's an alternative therapy if ever there was one. What's your address?
nonamedufus said…
Don: You mean you know where he lives? I'm in.
nonamedufus said…
Quirks: No barf bags, but I'll probably be taking a ride or two on the big white bus like the last time, as things progress. Thanks for your kind words my friend.
nonamedufus said…
Trukindog: Thanks, man. Everyone's best wishes help lighten the load.
TheWordWire said…
I have no idea how I first discovered you, but this has since become a favorite blog. So sorry to read this news today. Good thoughts and well wishes from this direction. God bless.
nonamedufus said…
Word Wire: Hey thanks for the kind words about the blog and thanks for the kind thoughts.
Anonymous said…
*sniff*

Cancer really PISSES me off. Do me a favor, noname. Kick its ass.

Hugs and kisses..

xoxo,

Ms. Thirty Something.

PS - I'll be bok.. :-)

PPS - the 'word verification' box below this one required for me to post this note, this time, was 'nosips' - how fitting. Life isn't about sips. It's about GULPS. So keep takin' big gulps of life for us. :-) No sips for you! [I'm a 7-11 fan, myself...]
nonamedufus said…
Ms 30?: You're very kind. I smacked this thing down before. It's my intention to do it again.
Chris said…
Oh wow, that's awful. I had no idea...hang tough, my friend.
nonamedufus said…
DK: Thanks man. I have every intention of doing so - which is better than just doing so-so..
Dot-Com said…
I'm so sorry to learn about your treatments, but glad to see you always have your good sense of humour intact. It helps! And keep us posted on what's happening to you. Hugs to you x
nonamedufus said…
Dot-Com: Humour helps, believe me. Thanks for your good wishes.
Unknown said…
Humor is the best medicine. And venting to your bloggy friends! Keep us posted. I love your blog!
nonamedufus said…
AmyLK: You're too kind. Glad you enjoy this place. Thanks.
Noname -- I'm so sorry to hear about this. Get better soon, and take refuge in Moooooog's offerings as often as possible.
nonamedufus said…
Frank: Thank you, my friend.
Don said…
I remember a little about this from something I read before on your blog. Damn John, best of luck to you buddy. I'm glad that you'll be staying in touch regularly and filling us in. Good luck and I'll be looking forward to more nonamedufus!
Now I'm going to moooooog's house. I understand he's having some kind of "get together."

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies