Skip to main content

The Bloggerhood Of The Traveling Book

So the other day I opened up my mailbox expecting to find my latest music purchase from Amazon.com. Instead I found a bubble-wrapped envelope from Boom Boom, containing this.



Boom Boom used to be a cheerleader in high school and that was her nickname. Maybe she did really good on the "sis-boom-bah" part, I dunno. But ever since she blogged that story a while back I've been calling her Boom Boom. And I really don't know why I have that Chris de Burgh tune Patricia The Stripper playing in my head right now.

Boom Boom is my good blogging buddy Paula Larew Wooters. You may know her better as Cat Lady Larew over at How To Be A Cat Lady...Without The Cats.

So why was this in the mail? Well, it turns out I'm the newest member of the Bloggerhood of the Traveling Book. What the hell is that you say? Well, I thought you'd never ask!

(sung to the tune of the theme from Gilligan's Island)

Just sit right back
And you'll hear a tale
A tale 'bout a travlin' book
That started with Unfinished Rambler
Next stop, bit of a kook
U.R. was a veracious reading man
And a librarian sure
A big thick book he mailed that day
For a free book tour
A free book tour.

Quirkyloon was the first to get
The Girl Who Played With Fire
If not for her great idea to pass it on 
The Fire Girl would be lost
The Fire Girl would be lost

The book was sent to Cat Lady
Somewhere in Rochester
From Quirkyloon
The Rambler too
Now it's my turn
And my wife
Who is next?
I'm gonna send this "Travlin' Book"
But after a little while...

You see, when Cat Lady told me she was sending me the second book in this trilogy by Stieg Larsson, I ordered the first one to read ahead of receiving the second one. But Cat Lady read the thing so damn fast I'm still waiting for the first one. And I'm currently only about a third of the way through my current read - The Given Day by Dennis Lehane.

So folks I'll have to get back to you when I'm ready to pass this on...

So this is the tale of our little book
Could be here for a long, long time
You'll have to make the best of things
It's gonna be a grind.

nonamedufus and his glasses too
Will do their very best
To read the book lickity split
In my little Canadian nest

No phone, TV no stereo
Not a single luxury
Like my wife always says
I'm primitive as can be.

So join us here each week my friends
Look for the last update
I'll try to read as fast as Quirks (and Cat Lady and Unfinished Rambler)
But I think you'll have to wait...  

Comments

Jen said…
I have the first book, we could have swapped, I tried to win over at Boom Boom's but I was too late.
nonamedufus said…
Jen: Ha! We could have had The Bloggerhood of 2 Travelling Books! Just got Vol. 1 yesterday, so now I'm all set to go.
Anonymous said…
Wow.

Great Gilligan song! I love it! Thank you kind Sir Nomie for the shout out! I'm glad to see it is still making the rounds.

And don't tell anyone, but I heard she was nicknamed Boom Boom because of.... something to do with her hips? And how she swung them whilst walking?

Let's keep that between us, k?

hee hee hee

boom boom boom

Ouch! I think I dislocated my hip joint!
nonamedufus said…
Quirks: Thanks Skipper. No, the Fire Girl wasn't lost.

Oh, THAT's where it comes from. Gee if she said "walk this way" I think I'd dislocate something too!
Donnie said…
Other than Mary Ann and Ginger, I think I missed most of Gilligan. Besides, I believe that Amazon got our orders mixed up.
nonamedufus said…
Don: I wondered why I had those Glock rounds of ammo in my mailbox.
Cruella Collett said…
Your in the receiving end of other good things today as well - there's an award claiming you are irresistible over at someone's blog today. It might even be mine...
nonamedufus said…
Cruella: Gosh. For me? That's strange.
I hear more about this book these days than I do God. I guess I'm going to have to read it. Send it to me when you're done, won't you? ;-)
nonamedufus said…
Mike: I know, eh. Click on the author's name. I didn't even know that this trilogy of stories was published after the guy died in 2004. Four years later he was the 2nd best-selling author in the world (after James Cameron...just kidding). As of 2010 he';s sold 27 million copies of the trilogy. Amazing.
Sounds like a fun book club!

Did the professor and mary ann, ever, you know...
nonamedufus said…
EG: Well, you never heard? Seems when they finally came to rescue the Giiligan the Skipper too, the millionaire and his wife, the movie star, and the rest Mary Ann and the Professor didn't want to leave. Uh-huh. It coulda happened.
KaLynn ("MiMi") said…
I was too late at CL Larew's too. Shucks! I'm readin book right now! Took a bit but it's getting good right now. So I have to go read some more! Later!
Alex said…
What a great idea! I'd want to play too if I weren't forever and a day away.
nonamedufus said…
KaLynn: Don't give it away! I've got to do this myself.
nonamedufus said…
Alex: Wow, Alex, you really are in your own piece of paradise aren't you. How in the world did you find me?
So, the book made it past Gilligan and Mary Ann! Love the song! I was wondering when it would get to that island you call Canada... Oh, Canada! *stands and sings* I still have the first volume, which I'm happy to add to the Bloggerhood. I was going to send it to Ellen at Ellen's Head, but then she got it at the library. Any other takers out there?
nonamedufus said…
CL: Hey, Boom-Boom! Oh the book made it safe and sound. If not for your idea to pass it on, the Fire Girl would've been lost!
brookeamanda said…
That is a GREAT book! I read the entire series a few months ago and loved it.
nonamedufus said…
Brooke: So everybody keeps telling me. Now if I can spend less time on the computer and more time with my nose in a book...
nonamedufus said…
Quirks: Thanks Skipper. No, the Fire Girl wasn't lost.

Oh, THAT's where it comes from. Gee if she said "walk this way" I think I'd dislocate something too!

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies