Skip to main content

30M2DW III - Day 19


Tastes Like Chicken

I left Dusty and Lucky on the beach in Bijao, Panama - where the temperature hovered around 90F every day - sipping their fruity drinks with the little paper umbrellas in them and made for the Tocumen airport. I had a two hour cab ride ahead of me and I really needed to catch the last flight out to Newark. Otherwise, I'd have to spend another day in Panama. Did I mention the temperature was 90F?

With layovers in Newark and Montreal, and after a 14 hour travel day I finally made it home where, exhausted, I fell into bed next to Dylan.

She stirred. Her eyes fluttered open and she said to me "Hey, Stud. Glad you're back. Actually, I'm glad you're front too." And with that we tumbled into each other's arms and, like they say in the movies, fade to black.

The next day I was up early, showered, shaved and was ship-shape to continue my sleuthing. I checked the internet for the address of this restaurant in Chinatown, collected my keys and with my head filled with visions of last night's acrobatics - I think Dylan would do well in an X-rated Cirque de Soleil -I drove into town.

There was no way one could drive a car through the narrow streets of Chinatown so I parked the beast and got out and walked. I hadn't gone far before I saw a sign over an inconspicuous doorway that said "Sum Yung Guy Hung Fook Hing Low" and I chuckled to myself. The doorway might have been inconspicuous but that sign certainly wasn't. I went in.

The place was poorly lit. You almost had to take the menu with you outside in the daylight to read it, And then I saw him. A huge hulk of a human. He must have weighed 600 pounds, No wonder I couldn't see. The guy was sitting between me and the window and his frame blocked out the sunlight.

"Joe?"

"No. I'm Rob."

"Rob? Rob who?"

"Rob Ford, mayor of the great city of Toronto."

"What the hell are you doing in my story," I asked.

He snorted a line of coke, looked up at me and said "I must be in one of my drunken stupors."

Over his shoulder some guy was waving at me. It was Joe Blow. He motioned me over with his index finger. He pointed to a vacant chair. I sat.

Geez, I thought. They'll let just about anyone in this place.

"Hey, Joe, what do you know?" I asked.

"I just got back from Kokomo" he replied.

"Oh, yeah? Did you see the Beach Boys while you were there?"

"Huh?"

"Never mind."

"Hungry?"

"A little."

"You should try the frogs legs. They're our signature dish."

"Frogs legs? Really?"

"Go on. Try them. It tastes like chicken."

Tune in tomorrow to see if Inspector Gouda try's the frogs legs. In the meantime, hop (sorry frog) on over to We Work For Cheese and see how the rest of those poor sods covered off today's prompt.


   

Comments

Cheryl said…
From Panama to Canada and Dylan to Ford ~ what a rude awakening in more ways than one.
nonamedufus said…
Reality sucks, doesn't it?
Joe, Joe from Kokomo! But seriously, how low was that young guy hung?
MalisaHargrove said…
Sum Yung Guy Hung Fook Hing Low. You know I'm still laughing. Despite all the delightful repartee between your detective and Joe Blow, my favorite part of the story was the twist with Rob Ford. Totally unexpected. It made me chuckle.
Linda Medrano said…
I'm reading a guy, William Lashner, and his writing reminds me of yours in this detective story. He's actually quite witty and has a kooky side too. I think you'd like him. Two of his books are "Blood and Bone", and "The Barkeep".
nonamedufus said…
Yeah, Rob Ford makes a lot of us chuckle.
nonamedufus said…
Well, if he reminds you of me he must be good. I'll look him uo. Thanks, Linda.
Margaret said…
Aw, man! Now I'm dyin' to know if he tries the frog legs!
nonamedufus said…
I'm hopping you'll come back tomorrow to find out.
Cheryl P. said…
I, too, found humor in Rob Ford showing up at Sum Yung Guy Hung Fook Hing Low. Clever and funny.
nonamedufus said…
Thanks. I worked in Celine Dion earlier. Maybe I can come up with a Justin Bieber reference.
nonamedufus said…
It took me a minute. Thank goodness I've been following everyone's posts. That was funny, Katherine. No the shells would have gotten stuck in his nose.
meleahrebeccah said…
"Rob? Rob who?"

"Rob Ford, mayor of the great city of Toronto."

"What the hell are you doing in my story," I asked.

He snorted a line of coke, looked up at me and said "I must be in one of my drunken stupors."


------- And I am DYING!!!!
nonamedufus said…
Yeah, so's his popularity! What a goof.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies