Skip to main content

30 Days of Writing - #27 - Side Of The Road

Monday night this week my wife and I, her son and a friend of his crossed over to Ontario and headed out to Kanata on the outskirts of Ottawa where on the side of Highway 417 sits Scotiabank Place. The arena is home to the Ottawa Senators of the NHL. But this night, with hockey over and the Senators long since on the golf course, the hockey barn was home to a touring rock and roll act.

For over 2 years now, former Pink Floyd member (remember them?) Roger Waters has been on tour performing his 1979 double album "The Wall". Monday night, after travelling through here last year, Waters stopped for another performance. And what a show. I'll remember this one for a long time.


He was backed by an incredible band, including G.E. Smith the former Saturday Night Live band leader in the late 80s and early 90s. But the star of the show, apart from Waters, had to be lead guitarist Dave Kilminster who plays all of original Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour's parts. With your eyes closed you'd think it was Gilmour.


The concert was loud. At one point I registered the sound close to 100 db on my iPhone "Noise Sniffer" app. But then rock and roll is supposed to be loud, isn't it? The concert was also visually stunning combining props such as an exploding plane, a huge inflated school teacher and a roving inflated pig with projection and animation on a huge round screen and the wall, as it is built up during the first half of the concert and was torn down during the second, as well, of course, the live music.


It lasted a good two and-a-half hours after which my ears were ringing - but in a good way.

It was apt it was a concert by Waters, as it rained Monday night. And the rain affected me about as much as Waters did, but not quite in the same way. You see as I powered down my car window to pay the parking fee before the concert my automatic window blew. I couldn't power the bloody thing up. So, necessity being the mother of invention, and rain prevention I guess, I affixed several canvas shopping bags to the drivers door to keep the rain out while we went into the concert. It worked. The driver's seat remained dry for the ride home.

If you're interested, a local review of the concert is provided here by the Ottawa Sun. The reviewer was as in awe as I. Waters is scheduled to perform The Wall outdoors in July at Quebec City's Plains of Abraham. It's touted as being bigger and more extravagant than the memorable outdoor concert he performed at Berlin's wall decades ago. If he's coming to a city near you, I highly recommend you see him. You'll love it.

I took over 60 pics with my iPhone at the concert. They're keepsakes, really, but not of good enough quality for the blog. The images are from Wikipedia.

Crash down that wall and drive on over to Nicky's side of the road to see who else is still motoring along in our little 30 day extravaganza.


Oh, and don't forget to visit dufus daze today for this week's Pause Ponder and Pun caption contest.

Comments

babs (beetle) said…
That sounds great! I think a most musicians improve with age. I saw the Rolling Stone at Hyde park (1969) and it was memorable, but when we went to their concert in 2006, we were blown away with it. You totally don't notice their age once the music starts!
nonamedufus said…
Oh, I envy you. Never saw the Stones. Saw Zep, the Who, the Troggs and some others back in the day. And I'd never seen Pink Floyd. But this show was simply fantastic. Waters, at 68, pulled off an amazing two and-a-half-hour concert.
nonamedufus said…
Oh, I envy you. Never saw the Stones. Saw Zep, the Who, the Troggs and some others back in the day. And I'd never seen Pink Floyd. But this show was simply fantastic. Waters, at 68, pulled off an amazing two and-a-half-hour concert.
babs (beetle) said…
Those were the days eh? ;)
If I were God... said…
I was lucky enough to see Pink Floyd at Giant's staium and Roger Waters at Madison Square Garden in the same year -right after Radio Kaos came out. Both very good shows
Linda R. said…
That sounds like some concert! I'm glad you had a dry ride home afterwards. How are your ears? ;)
nonamedufus said…
Hey, I said that!
nonamedufus said…
Indeed they were. And we lived to talk about them!
nonamedufus said…
I'm a big Pink Floyd fan. Wish I'd gone to see them when I had the chance.
nonamedufus said…
What?
Linda Medrano said…
The Wall is one of my all time favorites. Sheer genius! I'm so glad you went to see this one. I avoid crowds like that, but this would have been worth the discomfort!
Nicky said…
I saw Pink Floyd twice in the late 80's, sans Waters, and they were mind-blowing. Hmmm, I wonder if there are still tickets available for the QC concert...

You get an extra 500 points for making this about Pink Floyd, Dufus! Well done!
nonamedufus said…
Oh, believe me, it was worth it. Best concert I've seen in some time.
nonamedufus said…
I, and my warm and dry posterior, thank you!
Wendy said…
Ahhh. You made us all green with envy.
nonamedufus said…
It was a great show.
Lauren said…
My husband and I are dying to see the concert. We're both Pink Floyd fans. On our first date, we went to see "The Wall" at Rockefeller Center. I heard the concert is supposed to be amazing. Did you catch the Waters' interview on 60 Minutes?

As a side note, I worked as an administrative assistant in the A&R Department when the album was released. My boss, Paul Atkinson of Zombies fame, was the A&R guy handling the album. I remember typing the liner notes.

Very resourceful re the driver's door.
nonamedufus said…
Saw the 60 Minutes piece. Interesting.


Your side note is simply fascinating!
Quirky Loon said…
Now that's one heck of a side of the road distraction. And fun too.


Great job dufus!
nonamedufus said…
Who knew a Wall would be on the side of the road.
P.J. said…
Sounds like you had one heck of a time!

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies