Skip to main content

30 Days of Writing - #15 - First Place

With today's prompt we're half-way through this infernal blah-de-blah, blah, blah. And there are other bloggers blah, blah-de, blah, blah. Yak, yak, yak @ We for For Cheese where Nicky is yakety, yack, not talking back. (I hope.)

Nicky and I go back a couple of years. We were members of Tribal Blogs before Jenn and the girls over there went all commercial on our asses. Jenn, blogs for money. As Jerry Seinfeld would say "Not that there's anything wrong with that." But I know I sure don't blog for money, although if you want to send me some I can give you my address. And I don't think Nicky does either. Hell, neither of us can afford a blog makeover. Isn't it obvious? But Tribal Blogs just isn't average Joe blog-friendly any more. Hell, they even hid their forum so their new serious corporate customers couldn't read my punny  comments.

Now last year, guess what?  Tribal Blogs had a Blog Make-Over Contest. During the competition Nicky and I engaged in quite the dissing match (with a 'd") and dragged our blogger friends into it leaving comments on our blogs, on Tribal blogs, and on Twitter and Facebook. Oh I pulled out all the stops. Here's an example from Facebook from last September of the lengths Nicky and I went to for votes - even for just one from our pal Michael Whitman-Jones - to win First Place. The names have not been changed to protect the innocent. Well except mine:



Yoo-hoo.Nicky-and Mike, you out there? I just wanted to bring this to your attention. Have a nice day.http://nonamedufus.blogspot.com/2011/09/ive-got-sizzle.html
30 ·  · 



You know, I always thought there was something fishy about that contest. Neither Nicky nor I won First Place. We tied for second. The only other blog in the competition, something called  Salmon like the Fish got the makeover. But that dissing contest brought us closer together. That's right. Nicky and I have a great relationship as a result and continue to tease each other when the opportunity presents itself. Don't we little Greek Cheese Loving Lady?


Comments

Katherine said…
Ha ha! I remember the contest but I didn't know about the back stabbing. Shame on you both. I just hope I am never in a competition with you guys..you would crush me like a piece of cheese!
Linda Medrano said…
Where was I when all of this was going on? How could I have missed it? Well, if you or Nicky didn't win first place, I say it was fishy all right!
babs (beetle) said…
I remember that contest. I'm not saying where my vote went though, just that it didn't go to the winner ;)
Quirky Loon said…
HA! I recognize one those comments! hee hee


And I'm sorry you didn't get a blog makeover.


That's not very nice.


But I really like your blog layout. Sometimes too much is NOT a good thing. My poor eyes need simplicity. I really dread blogs that have a dark background and WHITE font.


Ugh.


So don't knock whatcha got. It's working great!
Linda R. said…
I remember that contest, too. Pretty sure I voted for someone...but not the winner. Oh, so I can't find the forum on purpose? I thought I'd missed something...I guess I did.
Nicky said…
Hahahahahahahaha! I'd nearly forgotten about that, Dufus! And yes, there was something totally fishy with that! I mean, of course YOU didn't win but ME? Unfathomable!
But yes, it did bring us closer together and for that alone, I learned to accept my loser status. As for continuing to tease each other, you betchya, Pickles. :-)
nonamedufus said…
I think you voted for Nicky, there, Linda. That's where you were.
nonamedufus said…
A-ha. Another Nicky vote. I knew it.
nonamedufus said…
Thanks, Quirks. I know you would have voted for me, right?
nonamedufus said…
You can find the forum? There's a way of getting to it via the "Contact" button, but once you get there it's been taken over by spammers. Nobody else seems to use the forum anymore. Sad.
PJHar said…
That's a great tale. It really is. I laughed quite a bit. However, it becomes disturbing to know I stumbled into this blog area with you and Nicky and I now know how things work. My question is... how the hell do I get out now???
PJHar said…
And for the record, this new commenting system stinks. Why's it changed?
nonamedufus said…
How could you have forgotten? We trashed talked one another worse than any NBA competition I've ever seen. It was fun. And I'm glad we tied for "loser". Who needs a several hundred dollar blog makeover any way, right there Ms Blah Blog?
nonamedufus said…
Ha, there's no getting out now, P.J. You're coming along for the ride. Bwahahahahahah...
nonamedufus said…
DISQUS has updated it's system. Why's it stink?
mike said…
I remember getting happily spammed by that exchange. Still funny a year later.
babs (beetle) said…
Did I say that? ;)
P.J. said…
In the past, you could leave a comment and connect to your blog. Now it appears you have to go with your name/e-mail, or sign in with a Disqus account or use Twitter/Facebook or Google+.

I'd rather leave my name/URL and that way people can click to visit other people's blogs (That's one way I find new blogs -- I click on people's names when commenting elsewhere). This makes so it doesn't work that way and sometimes people won't leave their info, so even you as the blog owner might not see the blogs people have etc.
nonamedufus said…
It went on for a while. Days. Well, not 30 days mind you.
nonamedufus said…
That's weird, P.J. I notice you can click through on some commenter's names but not on others. I guess that has to do with the option you choose when you sign in. But I think that was always the case. So much for progress, eh?
nonamedufus said…
No, of course you wouldn't say that.
Nicky said…
Oh, I hadn't forgotten our trash talking, just the details of that particular thread! And I feel exactly the same way, Mr. Yawn Blog. :-)
If I were God... said…
So... even though you both acted like little number one's, you both wound up as number two's? Poets call that justice.
nonamedufus said…
Yawn blog? Where else can you say you've been to the dessert on a horse with Noname?
nonamedufus said…
Yeah, but we try harder.
Nicki Ditch said…
This Facebook dialogue is epic!!

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies