Skip to main content

30 Days of Writing - #11 - A Sense of Accomplishment

As I contemplated today's writing prompt I wracked my brain over just what the heck I was going to write about.

Unlike some others who started out with us on day #1 of our little writing sojourn, I've managed to post a piece each and every day. Now that's an accomplishment.

But having said that, what else is there to say?

I've always been somewhat driven. I really used to be a "Type A" personality, a little anal, perhaps, bent on accomplishment.

When I set my mind to things I more often than not succeeded. Be it raising my kids, undertaking various careers, buying a house, whatever - I usually accomplished what I set out to do.

But it wasn't always so. Especially as a kid. Someone once said sometimes you've got to fall before you fly. And as a kid I fell a lot.

For example there was the time I tried out for the local baseball team. I couldn't play baseball, but I really, really wanted to be a part of this activity. Somehow they made me the pitcher. I'd never pitched before. Oh, sure, I'd thrown a ball around with my friends but I'd never burned one across home plate.

What happened? I went through my little wind up, unleashed the ball underhand. And watched it sail into the air and over the backstop. There was much laughter and catcalls.

So much for my pitching career

I had the same trouble with hockey in my formative years. I couldn't skate worth a tinker's damn. So the coaches made me the goalie. This was cool, I thought. I got to strap on these huge pads, wear a mask and carry a huge stick. What could be easier.

I was on a good team. The guys were usually able to keep the puck away from me. I recall, however, one time in particular when the action was down at the other end of the rink when the puck bounced out and started to travel down the ice towards me. No one was stick handling it. It was moving on it's own.

Simple I thought. I'll just kick my stick and hit it off to the side. Well, I kicked a little too hard and a little too soon. And with all that padding I lost my balance, fell onto my back and watched that puck slide ominously across the goal crease. I was the laughing stock of the arena.

So much for my career as a goalie.

I did become a better baseball player. And I did improve my hockey game. And I played football and basketball. And I loved playing all the sports a young kid is supposed to play.

In the end I accomplished quite a bit. It didn't always start out well. But I never would have accomplished so much if I hadn't first decided to try.

You know, as I think back on this. I think I may have accomplished much more than succeeding at sports. Seems to me this is where I may have first learned to laugh at myself. And that, my friends, is some accomplishment.

Check out who else is still participating in 30 Days of Writing by clicking on the links over at We Work For Cheese

Comments

Linda R. said…
Well done! It is important to be able to laugh at oneself. I get some of my best laughs that way. ;)
nonamedufus said…
Oh, yeah. Some days I just kill myself!
babs (beetle) said…
I loved your hockey failure :)) I think it's an accomplishment to continue on in those sports you failed at on the first attempts. Many wouldn't.

I have spent my life laughing at myself.
Linda Medrano said…
This is totally charming! I already loved you, but now I love you even more.
nonamedufus said…
I've never been one to give up easily. Of course there are things I don't even attempt. But you can still say I never gave up!
nonamedufus said…
Oh, I was a very charming child. Then I grew up!
Nicki Ditch said…
Learning to laugh at myself was a huge accomplishment for me. I just never realized it until I read this post! Thank you!
nonamedufus said…
Well, yeah, you've got to be able to laugh at yourself. It's what makes laughing at others so much fun!
Quirky Loon said…
Ah! Yes Mr. Dufus, learning to laugh at one's self is HUGE. Too many people who take life and THEMSELVES way too seriously.

But I have a nice de-crawer for those have one up their butts.

HA!
nonamedufus said…
Well it beats everybody else laughing at you, doesn't it?
P.J. said…
Ha! A great story looking at the childhood. I know that feeling of having to laugh at yourself with sports. Nicely written.
The 'natural talents' always get the spotlight, but it's the lunchpail guys that get the team to the playoffs. Okay, maybe not YOUR team...
Leeuna said…
I love how you kept trying. That kind of spirit is an accomplishment.
meleahrebeccah said…
"Seems to me this is where I may have first learned to laugh at myself. And that, my friends, is some accomplishment."

Hell yes, it's one of the GREATEST accomplishments.
nonamedufus said…
Thanks. P.J. Not all of us are Joe Athlete.
nonamedufus said…
Yeah, like thanks, IIWG. I'll have you know when I was in Grade 7 our school team - for which I played 1st base - won the city championship. So there! It was all downhill from there.
nonamedufus said…
How did that saying go? If at first you don't succeed. Try, try again. Perseverance actually pays off.
nonamedufus said…
Well, I was worried no one else would laugh, so I got the whole thing started.
Nicky said…
So what you're saying is that I should feel a sense of accomplishment because I too learned to laugh at yourself? (Actually, I didn't really have to learn, it just seemed to come naturally)

Seriously, this was an awesome post, Dufus. 250 points!
nonamedufus said…
I think I just achieved a compliment. I think. I'm glad you enjoyed it Nicky. You can see why I chose dufus as a pseudonym.
Barb said…
The fact that you kept trying is an accomplishment in of itself! :)
nonamedufus said…
Oh, absolutely. I was never one to give up.
Every time my mother and I watch one of my children's games, whether it be Lacrosse or soccer, we say, "I am SO GLAD the boys aren't goalies!" I just can't imagine!
nonamedufus said…
Ha, when my eldest boy played T-ball he played left field. not much action in left-field when a bunch of 4 and 5 year -olds are playing. We'd look up to see him and he'd be gone. off in the bushes having a pee.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies