Skip to main content

30 Days of Writing - #13 - The Other One



I have three grandchildren. Apart from my own kids, these guys are the pride and joy of my life. Miko, the oldest, will be 6 in July. His younger brothers, twins Emery and Noah, will be 3 later this month. They're all beautiful boys. And of course they would be as my daughter gets her good looks from me, and they from her.

My daughter likes to take the first letter of each of their names and collectively call them her little MEN. Cute, eh?

Now Miko is short for Mikayel which is the Turkish form of Michael. Her husband is Turkish and Michael was her older brother who passed away some years back. So nice touch there. Miko's brothers couldn't say Miko or Mikayel, so they call him Kyle. Which is funny. There's no Kyle in our family - until now.

But Noah and Emery aren't the only ones who have trouble with names.

Yep, Grampa has some difficulty now and then.

When we learned Megan was going to have twins I started suggesting names for them. Here's some of the helpful suggestions I made:

Tom and Jerry

Spin and Marty

Peter and Gordon

Abbot and Costello

Bob and Ray (showing my age here)

Thing 1 and Thing 2

Fred and Barney

Well you get the idea. I was coming up with well-known pairs. Although, one pair I didn't suggest was Dolly and Parton.

I'm not sure where the names Noah and Emery come from. When they were first born I would call them Emery and Ivory. EVERYBODY NOW: "Live together in perfect harmony, side by side on my piano keyboard, oh lord why don't we." But that didn't go over very well with their mother.

So Emery and Noah it was.

Now I'm getting old. I move a lot slower these days. My voice is faltering. My hearing's shot. My eyesight's going. And it's hard to tell those two apart. Everyone else seems to manage except me.

Sure they have distinguishing features. And they each have a temperament a little different from the other.  But there's two of them. And knowing which name to give to which kid is a challenge for me.

So, I've come up with an approach guaranteed to work. Although I'm not sure these two little guys are going to enjoy growing up with Grampa calling them "Hey You" and "The Other One".



See what other ones are participating in our 30 Days of Writing challenge by visiting We Work For Cheese where Nicky has a little link love going 

And, oh, you know I have 2 blogs, eh? Head over the the other one where at dufus daze you'll find this week's Pause Ponder and Pun caption contest. Do it. Now.

Comments

Cheryl P. said…
I love your post. AND your grandboys are adorable. That is funny about the names.
I was told that we were expecting twins with our second child and I told everyone that I was going to name them Skeeter and Skooter. As it turned out, I only had my son so he didn't get either of those names.

All of that talk about how old you are is making me nervous. Aren't you and I about the same age??? I didn't think I was elderly yet. Perhaps, I am old and don't know it.
nonamedufus said…
Oh, man Skeeter and Skooter would have made it really difficult to tell them apart. Cute, though. My suggestions were more to bug my daughter than anything else.

I just turned 60. But I think my brain's 95.
Laughingmom said…
That is great and the kids are adorable - like their grandfather! My own mother would blurt out my sister's, brother's and even the dog's name before she would get to mine...By then who could remember why she was yelling at me!
Linda R. said…
Cute bunch of boys. Interesting about the history of Miko's name. Naming children must be a big responsibility.
Linda R. said…
I understand a lot parents call roll to get to the name (kid) they are looking for.
Nicki said…
This is awesome!!! I love Thing 1 and Thing 2. They totally should have taken your advice there!!
nonamedufus said…
The more kids (and pets) you have the harder it is on the parents, isn't it. Their grandfather's adorable? Do you need glasses?
I like your Thing 1 and Thing 2 idea, it's got that Seussian quality the others lack. With a snack. In the back. Of a caddyla- oh, enough already.
nonamedufus said…
Heh, it's one of the positives associated with birth control I guess.
nonamedufus said…
In my day, my parents named their kids after saints. Too bad we couldn't live up to our names, ha, ha.
nonamedufus said…
I actually bought them T shirts with those names at the Orlando airport a couple years back when I was down there golfing..
nonamedufus said…
Maybe "Green Eegs" and "Ham" would have been another way to go.
P.J. said…
HA! First, Fred and Barney would have ruled.

Second, that the twins call their brother Kyle is hilarious.

Finally, "Hey you" and "The other one" is downright classic. It will be funny as hell when they bring their first real girlfriends to meet grandpa! :)
Laughingmom said…
I've only got two and still mix up their names!
nonamedufus said…
We named ours Michael, Matthew and Megan. Kind of glad we stopped at three.
nonamedufus said…
It'll be even funnier if they date twins! Oh my God.
babs (beetle) said…
Ha ha ha! The Dolly & Parton pair made me laugh out loud. Abbot and Costello would have been fun, or Pinky and Perky - Remember those?
Linda Medrano said…
Those boys are gorgeous! I have to laugh. I go through all the names to get to the right one. My son has four kids, Hannah, Emma, Aidan, Abbey. It can take a while to get to Abbey. I usually go with "Honey!" (my dog, now gone), "Harry, (boy dog), "Zoe" (girl dog), "Smokey", (cat,now gone), Hannah, Emma, Aidan, NO, the other one! Abbey!
nonamedufus said…
You mention Dolly Parton. On highway 401 on the way to Toronto there are two huge salt and sand storage "cone" structures. I call them the Dolly Parton Memorial.

I think Pinky and Perky was a BBC cartoon. Don't recall ever seeing it. We had something called Beany and Cecil.
nonamedufus said…
Do you think it's the number of kids or the number of years we adults have - or a combination of both?
babs (beetle) said…
A man's thinking ;) Pinky & Perky were two cartoon pigs, so maybe not ideal ;)
Linda Medrano said…
I have 3 sisters. My mother could never get our names right. I did the same thing with my kids, I called John, "Sheila", and called Sheila "John". It's a wonder they turned out okay.
Cheryl P. said…
I told people about the Skeeter and Scooter thing so that they could worry about my level of sanity. I think it is a good thing to keep them guessing.

This is also going to be my 60th year and I feel 40 so I am not taking it well.
nonamedufus said…
That almost sounds like the title of a Johnny Cash song.
nonamedufus said…
If she had triplets we could have gone for Huey, Louie and Dewey or Curly, Larry and Moe. ...and I'm just warming up.
nonamedufus said…
I thought 50 would be bad but 60 was worse. I don't feel 60 but my body, and somedays my mind, tells me I am.
babs (beetle) said…
Ha ha ha! How many dwarfs were there?
nonamedufus said…
Oh, boy, we could really have fun with that. Or the kids from the Sound of Music.
Nicky said…
Bwhahahahaha! Those are hysterical name choices, Dufus. My dad suggested Hercules when I was pregnant with my first. I didn't even bother asking when I was pregnant with the second. :-)
Shawn said…
I always like the names Moondog Rex and Moondog spot.
Shawn said…
I always like the names Moondog Rex and Moondog spot.
StubbornFool said…
I always like the names Moondog Rex and Moondog spot.
Quirky Loon said…
Ha! I'd love to have a Grampa like you in my life. Emery and Ivory? Double ha! I snorted at that one.

So sweet and funny.

Great job Rufus. Ooops, that's your OTHER name. heh heh DUFUS!
nonamedufus said…
Was that before or after he was born?
nonamedufus said…
Thanks, Snookie, er, ah, Quirky.
meleahrebeccah said…
Ahahahahahhahahah! "Abbot and Costello" would have been awesome!
nonamedufus said…
I used to love Abbot and Costello movies.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies