Skip to main content

Welcome to Fantasy Why? Land


"Zee pick, Boss, zee pick"

Uh-oh. What have I done now? Well I'll tell you what I've done. I've gone and accepted an invitation to participate in a fantasy football league. And not just any league. It's the prestigious Humor Blogger Fantasy Football League. Seems they're an owner or two short this year and one of the existing owners Unfinished Person asked me if I'd be interested in playing. Well, first of all I'm gratified that they think I'm a humour blogger (and a Canadian, hence the "u" - "hence the u", that's a funny expression, isn't it? Must be Canadian.). My fantasy football skills remain to be seen.

Now if that wasn't enough, a member of that fantasy league runs another one called "FTWL" and he asked me to join that one too. Hey, what the heck. If I'm gonna go down I may as well go down in spectacular fashion.

What do I know about fantasy leagues? My brother (HI WHITEY!) from *spits* Toronto is into fantasy leagues. He's been participating in a national baseball rotisserie league since I can't remember when. But then he's the sports director of a national newspaper. Of course he knows what he's doing.

Me? Yeah I know about individual football players. There are those who e-mail photos of their junk to young ladies. Others breed dogs to fight each other and shoot them if they don't perform. Still others stick a gun in their pants and manage to shoot themselves in the leg in bars. And there was one former player who used to run through airports and after he retired had trouble putting his gloves on.

On the field, I follow the New England Patriots, The Pittsburg Steelers, the Indianapolis Colts and the New York Giants. A Canadian, who lives in none of those cities or regions, I'm happy to see any of those teams make the Super Bowl.

But fantasy leagues are about individuals from across the league not any one team or another. The irony of fantasy leagues is you may well be cheering for teams you hate because you've got a player or two from that team on your fantasy team. You still with me? Good, maybe you'll be able to help me and give me a few recommendations in the comments about which players to pick.

So instead of sitting on the couch in my underwear drinking beer and watching football all by myself, I'll be able to do it with 10-12 virtual friends. Good times!

Seriously, I'm going up against some pretty solid guys who have been doing this for several years. Me, I've never participated in a fantasy league before. Wish me luck as I embark on my little sojourn to Fantasy Why? Land. I'll update you from time to time unless, of course, I really suck at this and in that case you may never hear about it again.

So long, sucker.

Mrs Dufus has her own thoughts about all this which you can read about at dufus daze. I can't really say she's all that enthusiastic.

Comments

quirkyloon said…
Well I'm sorry I won't be able to help you out with any picks. Why? Cuz I'm too busy picking my nose (and the occasional pimple...pure delight). HA!

But it sounds like fun and I'm sure you will do the league justice.

HEY! Isn't that a movie or something?

hee hee
nonamedufus said…
You're a punny one, Quirks. Now stop pickin' on me.
Oh, and don't forget the ever important avatar for your team. :) I just spent half an hour on that (rolling eyes), but seriously, I did. Hmmm, and I wonder why I don't do better each year?
nonamedufus said…
Yeah I thought I'd get the draft out of the way first. I created an avatar after I read your e-mail. Picking the avatar categories was almost as nerve-wracking as picking players!
Nicky said…
What? No Als, no Riders, no *spits* Argos? Huhn.
nonamedufus said…
Who ever heard of football with three downs?
Ziva said…
Good luck, Mr. Dufus, you'll need it! I once participated in a Formula 1 fantasy league, but kind of lost interest when it became apparent that I sucked at it.
nonamedufus said…
Yeah that's the thing. At this point I don't know if I'll suck ore not. Last weekend was the auto draft for one of the two leagues. Most of my players are decently ranked. But action speaks louder than me fiddling around with draft picks. We'll see. My teams are godufus and nonames. Brilliant, eh?
nonamedufus said…
Ever since the Ottawa Roughriders left town I've lost interest.
Ziva said…
Hah, brilliant indeed! I've always thought the most important thing in fantasy sports was the name of your team. Victory is yours, no doubt.
nonamedufus said…
Well, then, there may be hope yet.
nonamedufus said…
Although I've saved a bundle on football tickets.
meleahrebeccah said…
Good luck, and have fun with the Humor Blogger Fantasy Football League.
nonamedufus said…
Thanks Meleah. There's no money riding on it. It's all for fun...and bragging rights.
meleahrebeccah said…
Bragging rights rule.
nonamedufus said…
No, no, that's hut...hut, hut.
Janna said…
Things the letters FTWL could stand for:

1. First, There Were Lepers

2. Friday They Watched Lettuce

3. Finding Todd's White Lingerie

4. Free The Whale Livers!

5. Flatulent Truckers Were Laughing
Janna said…
I have no idea what "Disqus" is.
So the whole business of "click out and back in" makes no sense to me.
I don't see anywhere else to click for comments.

But wait!

All is not lost.
Since apparently my comment won't show up anyway (which still makes no sense because I can see my Aug 30 comment plain as day just above this one), this means I can feel free to post random crap and no one will ever know! No one will ever read it and no one will comment or answer or even care!

It'll be just like my blog!

I feel better already.

Purple toad honkers. Anti-gravity morse code Saskatchewan? Baked beans, twelve among the granite AAA batteries.
Run for the spoiled mastadon clippings!
Bacon?
Janna said…
(*after ten minutes of scanning the entire blog for anything related to the word "disqus" and finding nothing*)

... Light bulb aspirin sculptures; cheese walking carefully toward Scotland and Bob. Integrated math blinker!
Light breeze plays classical anchovy breath on March 12th.
Bacon?

(I like bacon.)
Anthony Hopper said…
Good luck with your draft. You should be okay as long as you take a ranked list of players (you can pull a top 100/150 list from almost any sports site) with you.
Fantasy football, believe me i am waiting for this game from longtime..Because last time i missed it. But now i would definitely look after to this game..
free bets said…
Best of luck,Mr. Dufus.Nice blog. Have just bookmarked this page so I don't miss any more of these.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies