Skip to main content

Anatomy Of A Blog Post


On my writing days I am consumed by what the heck I will write about. I search the web for inspiration, try to recall something funny Mrs Dufus might have said lately, wrack my brain about what I may have read about recently in the news and think about whether or not I have an opinion, can embellish or twist it to make it humorous. Here's how my day went yesterday.

7:30am - wake up

7:31 - pee

7:35am - open laptop

7:36am - turn on TV to news channel

7:38am - check yesterday's blog comments, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr and Google+

8:05am - steal photo from Phil's Phun for Picture This blog

8:30am - pee

8:31am - cook breakfast: 2 over easy eggs with melted cheese on open-faced bagel, orange juice

8:41am - wash dishes

8:45am - pooh - oh look, there' a sale at IKEA. Oh, that's last year's catalogue

9:00am - change TV to Golf Channel

10:00am - get dressed, cut lawn

11:45am - put creepy in pool

12:00pm - shower, brush teeth, comb hair (shaved yesterday)

12:15pm - make bed

12:20pm - check mail - oh look, I got that Johnny Cash Show musical performances double DVD - cool

12:25pm - load up CD player. Today it's 5 Ryan Adams albums.

12:30pm - eat lunch: left-over BBQ'd chicken breast, pasta/feta cheese salad, diet Canada Dry ginger ale

12:45pm - add food waste bags, orange juice and english muffins to grocery list

12:50pm - recheck blog comments, visit other blogs, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr and Google+

1:00pm - check weird news sites, visit other blogs

1:25pm - clean up hairball cat coughed up - yuck

1:30pm - read current book A Game of Thrones, which is fitting since I've been on the throne at least three times already today

2:33pm - engage in what has become an almost daily occurrence, a witty three-way repartee on Facebook with Bryan G. Robinson (you know, Edward G.'s son) and Michael Whiteman-Jones who lives near Redfeather Lakes, Colorado, pop.: 525

3:00pm - exhausted by all this high level activity I have a nap

4:00pm - take creepy out of pool

4:14pm - play mahjong app on iPad

4:40pm - back to book

5:30pm - recheck blog comments, visit other blogs, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr and Google+

6:00pm - come to the realization I haven't found a bloody thing to write about

6:02pm - decide to go with this.

Comments

Brilliant.

If only I could do that every day...:)
Kathy said…
That's my "every day,." I haven't written a post in like 10 days. I'm not sure. I'm afraid to check my own blog because it depresses me.

What's creepy and why does it go in the pool?
nonamedufus said…
Oh, me too. But some days I have to golf. It's a rough life.
nonamedufus said…
Some days it's really tough, isn't it. I try (key word) to keep to a schedule:
Monday - original post
Tuesday - down day
Wednesday - caption contest
Thursday - original post
Friday - down day
Saturday - caption contest results
Sunday - collection of best editorial cartoons of the week

We call our pool vacuum cleaner a creepy - I guess because it creeps along the bottom and sides of the pool.
Shawn said…
Our days are almost exactly the same. Except I only pee and pooh.
nonamedufus said…
That's actually where I get some of my best ideas!
meleahrebeccah said…
I had the same EXACT day as you. Except that I HAVE TO make my bed the minute I wake up or else my whole day feels "messy". And, I don't have an iPad to play games on.
nonamedufus said…
Well, my wife's at work during the day so I have all day to make the bed. You've got to get an iPad! It's one of the neatest time-wasters I've ever seen.
meleahrebeccah said…
I know. I really want one!
nonamedufus said…
Once I'm finished reading the last few hard cover books I have on hand, I'm going to start reading my books on the iPad. Looking forward to it.
Ziva said…
Wait, you don't have anything to do all day long except let creepy out for a swim and pee a lot, and yet you get up at 7:30 am?
nonamedufus said…
Yeah but I go to bed at 7pm. Somehow the juxtaposition of "Let the creepy out" and "pee" almost sounds natural.
Kathy said…
I used to think my "What's That Wednesday" posts would be good "filler" when I didn't have anything else to write, but now I don't even have those anymore. I'm sucking at this blogging thing anymore. You have a schedule you stick to, no matter what, so for that I tip my hat to you.
nonamedufus said…
Coming from you, Kathy, whom I've admired from afar, is high praise indeed. Hope you're back on that horse soon.
Nicky said…
I was going to suggest you get a hobby, but then I read the comment about taking creepy out and peeing. You obviously lead a very full life.
quirkyloon said…
Who the hell is creepy?

HA!

AND you only peed twice?

I'm beginning to see the problem...

heh heh heh
K A B L O O E Y said…
I find myself consumed with desire to have an egg and cheese on a bagel...
K A B L O O E Y said…
That dude to my left is scaring me a little.
nonamedufus said…
Oh, hell I peed a lot more than twice, are you kidding? I just didn't share everything like how many times I picked my nose, scratched my bum...

"Creepy" is the creepy-crawler, our pool vacuum, not a Radiohead song.
nonamedufus said…
No problem. I'll make you one.
nonamedufus said…
Are you talkin' to me? I'm the only one here.
nonamedufus said…
You put your creepy in,
you put your creepy out
you put your creepy in
and you shake it all about...

Oh, no that's not quite how it goes.
nonamedufus said…
Oh THAT dude! The guy in the video in the left column. Yeah, watch it, it's even scarier.
Linda R. said…
Well you know when all else fails - write about that! Good one.
nonamedufus said…
Exactly! Who new so many people would be interested in y boring existence.
Hey, blogging is totally about being yourself. And being original. So you win for that :)
nonamedufus said…
It is what it is. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies