Skip to main content

Dufus On Golf

My son, who I've come to call "Mulligan Matt", and I were out earlier this week attempting to whack little white spheres with long, narrow sticks. Some people call it golf, but my son has a another word or two for it which I shan't repeat here. Although one shouted expletive deleted starting with f and ending with uck had the elderly couple behind us waiting for us to tee off picking their jaws up off the ground.

This is my first season of golf. I started playing on our holidays in Panama in December, after my wife had bought me a set of clubs. Four weeks golfing in Panama was actually a warm-up for a fifth week in Orlando with my brothers Whitey and Drinksalot who both have been golfing since they were kids. In their game you drink about as much as the number of golf balls you hit. So I was pretty much sober, you understand. Nevertheless, they still were better golfers than I.

Dufus keeps eye on ball while trying to remember 576 other things to do while driving.

Since Orlando, my son and I kept our form...or attempted to...by doing virtual golf once or twice a week. That's where Matt got his nickname. If you didn't like your shot you could just push the "mulligan" button and do it over again. Of course our golf games would tend to run a tad on the long side this way but, hey, we were having fun.

Our first trip to a real course was about the second week of April. The weather wasn't bad but the course was extremely wet with puddles and mud everywhere. It was so bad they didn't allow you to rent a motorized cart. By the time we'd finished...mulligans and all... our feet were soaked and our pant legs were covered in mud. Of course part of that was from just walking the course!

We've been out several times a week since then. We get a motorized cart now. Conditions have improved. And so has our game. I'm shooting in the low 100s. Not bad for a beginner. Of course that's not counting balls lost in the rough, do-overs, dropped balls and mulligans. And my son appears to be at a similar skill level. So neither of us feels overly outplayed by the other.

So I'm feeling good that I'm on a par (pun intended) with my 30 year old son. On the fairway. I have a way to go to catch up on the language he uses to address the ball.

For you golf enthusiasts, especially beginners like me, here's a tip from my good friend Dorf, whose approach to the ball is amazingly a lot like Mulligan Matt's:

Comments

nonamedufus said…
Thanks, I think. Hey, it's fun. When people ask me what my handicap is, I say "golf". I'm trying to convince my wife to take it up. There's nothing else quite like showing how inadequate you are in front of your loved one!
nonamedufus said…
Sometimes when you drink and golf a designated golfer is advisable.
Cheryl said…
nonamedufus, you are a hoot! I need to be getting off my rear and go to the gym but here I sit laughing at you (not with you). That is hysterical. Hubby and I both got a set of clubs (hhhmmm not sure exactly) let's say 6 years ago. Hubby went once to a driving range where the f ending with uck came into play. My clubs are still in the large box they came in.
So....I am really impressed with your tenacity to actually try this sport and go out more than one time. My sports hiking and running only require me to stay upright and finish. No pressure to score any kind of a number.

Because I know we are the same age thanks to your birthday post, I will not be taking up anything that requires me to compete. (blood pressure and stress are best friends you know) I want to live to be 60.
Kelly DeJongh said…
The one and only time I played golf, I ended up with a concussion. And a destroyed golf cart. Alcohol may or may not have been involved.
Mike said…
Whenever I golf, I only play 9 holes because it takes me 5 hours to finish. The last time I played was in 1994. Really.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies