Skip to main content

Roadside Attractions

Seeing "South of the Border" billboards along 1-95 throughout South Carolina last week (see 2 previous posts) not only amused me but got me to thinking about what Canada might have to offer along the side of our major thoroughfares.

I was certainly aware of The Big Apple near Cobourg, Ontario because I drive by it on the 401 every time I travel to and from Toronto.

And I was well aware of The Big Nickel in Sudbury, Ontario because I was born in the city where INCO conducted massive mining operations.

But Canada has many other weird and wonderful roadside attractions. I don't know why they call them that because if anything, they're far from attractive! Nevertheless, allow me to share with you some of the weirder ones...

For example, Clinton, British Colmbia offers the Cowboy in a Bathtub Monument. Who knew!

And, in Altona, Manitoba there's the world's largest easel. Picture perfect!

Need a giant pick-me-up? Davidson, Saskatchewan has the world's largest coffee pot and cup! Tim Horton's has nothing on this. I wonder where the giant donut is?And if you fancy yourself a hockey fan, be sure and visit Duncan, BC and see the largest hockey stick and puck. That'd be some slap shot...

Shediac, New Brunswick famous for lobster, of course has a giant lobster. Don't think it's edible.

And in Thunder Bay, Ontario there's a giant curling stone. Get yer rocks off!

And there's an out of this world monument in Vulcan, Alberta - a huge USS Enterprise from Star Trek. Which is quite appropriate. After seeing many of these monuments all I can think of to say is, "Beam them up Scotty"!

For a comprehensive map of Canadian roadside attractions (as if we really need such a thing), click here and enjoy!

Comments

Ann said…
Please don't tell me Vulcan Albert was named after Star Trek!?!?!

Love the photos, became rather "distracted" and almost forgot to drop!
Me-Me King said…
Wow, these photos are great. Did you ever think of maybe doing a coffee table book? Well, at least it's an excuse to travel more.
Count Sneaky said…
Interesting stuff. But, tell me, how big was the Star Ship "Enterprise?" Nothing in the photo to judge it by.
Unknown said…
I love things like this. Now I have to go to Canada.
nonamedufus said…
Ann: In Vulcan, they live long and prosper. And they're trying to get the makers of Star Trek XI to premiere their film there. One small problem. They don't have a movie theatre.

Me-Me: "These are the voyages of the Starship Dufus..." yeah, works for me!

Count: Dammit, Count, I'm a doctor, not an expert in depth perception! This may help... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh27yMnLQe4

ettarose: If you decide to boldly go where no ettarose has gone before, we'd welcome you with open arms.
Anonymous said…
I knew about most of these things, but the star trek ship, really? There's also a giant muskoka chair in gravenhearst. For all you americans, a muskoka chair is what you call an adirondack chair.
nonamedufus said…
FTU: Really! It's only logical. Muskoka chair in the Muskokas, I guess. Yeah, there's some weird ones out there.
Anonymous said…
I like many of the american roadside attractions, but canada has more bizare and interesting ones...I would love to actually see more of them...

I have seen many of the american ones, check out on my blog, you might find them interesting...
I like many of the american roadside attractions, but canada has more bizare and interesting ones...I would love to actually see more of them...

I have seen many of the american ones, check out on my blog, you might find them interesting...
Ann said…
Please don't tell me Vulcan Albert was named after Star Trek!?!?!

Love the photos, became rather "distracted" and almost forgot to drop!

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies