Skip to main content

Blogoversary III - Politics

It's been an interesting time to be a blogger over the last couple of years and follow politics both north and south of the border. So much has happened. And there was so much for editorial cartoonists and internet wiseacres to work with. Two of my favourite editorial cartoonists are Cam of the Ottawa Citizen and Aislin of the Montreal Gazette and both are represented here. There's just far too many pictures and cartoons to include them all, but I did manage to come up with a fairly decent overview of 3 key events.

In the States, the administration of George Bush and his motley crew came to an end...





And America went through primaries, conventions, presidential debates and an election - a process that seemed to last almost forever... In the end, change came to America but so had a recession...




In Canada, we didn't have nearly the same level of drama (or money) as American politics. But we had an election too that saw the same plodding, doddering minority government returned to office and the drama - and at the same time humour - north of the border came from watching the leadership woes of the Opposition Liberal party. An early issue in the Canadian election was whether the Prime Minister preferred fruits or vegetables!


After all was said and done - which was a lot - the whole damn thing had taken it's toll...

Comments

Don said…
Don't know about in Canada, but the political cartoonist here should have a total field day with Obama to ink. This guy is classic fodder for a cartoonist. Easy!
Me-Me King said…
I have always enjoyed political cartoonist, you've chosen some great examples.

Happy Bloggin' Birthday!!!
nonamedufus said…
Don: Isn't it amazing how editorial cartoonists pick up on certain physical deficiencies to play up? Politicians' themselves are responsible for making their actual deficiencies evident!

Me-Me: Thanks very much. I appreciate your good wishes and your visits.
I love the "I Approve This Massage" one.
I love the "I Approve This Massage" one.

Popular posts from this blog

My Back Pages - October

Well, folks, I read seven (count 'em) seven books in October. One I didn't finish but even at that I hit the magic number 50 I estimated for myself by the end of the year. The six books I successfully waded through were, firstly, What Happened, Hillary Clinton's book on her bid for the Presidency. I''m a bit of a political junkie so I get off on this stuff but still it kinda struck me as one long whine over losing.
Next up was the excellent Canyon of Dreams: The Magic and Music of Laurel Canyon. Laurel Canyon was the fabled area outside of Los Angeles where many musicians and artists lived. Known as a 60s enclave, the book takes a look at just who lived there over the last 80 years. A fascinating read.
Next up was Lightfoot, a biography of Canadian folk singer Gordon Lightfoot. He may have been responsible for some iconic folk songs but he was also quite the womanizer and boozer. Enough said.
Then I read Dan Brown's new tome Origin, the fifth in the Robert Lan…

Tales From The Supermarket

Bob and Brenda worked in the supermarket. They weren't check-out clerks. And they weren't stock-boys. Brenda sure wasn't. And they weren't employees who worked in the fish section or the deli. No. They were on the shelves.

They hadn't been on the shelves very long but in that short time they'd developed a considerably close friendship.

The chatted all day when the store was busy and at night when the store was closed. They talked about everything. The talked about what raw products they came from. The talked about their manufacturing processes. And they talked about the long routes in semi-trailers that brought them to this store.

Oddly enough the one thing they never made clear to one another was just what product each of them was.

One day when Brenda was commenting on their friendship she told Bob she was grateful for their amity. "Are you Tea?" said Bob, pekoe-ing her way. "I thought I was Tea". You're coffee!"

This week's Tw…