Skip to main content

Lincoln Takes Off


Uh, nope not that one. I'm talking about the car that's named after him.


You know, car makers spend a bundle on advertising. It's surprising, perhaps, given their precarious financial situation that the advertising budgets of the Big 3 are so huge. Then again, I guess you have to spend money to make money and nothing drives (no pun intended) customers in like television ads.


Over the last couple of years Lincoln has run some smart, catchy ads. It's their, what I like to call, "take off" series of ads: black and white and cool music that hearkens us back to the early days of the space program while propelling us forward to the future of cars.


For example, first there was a Lincoln commercial featuring Cat Power doing David Bowie's Space Oddity...



Then it was Major Tom (Coming Home) by Shiny Toy Guns...





And finally it was Daft Punk doing Technologic...





I think these commercials are kinda cool. They always make me sit up and take notice when they come on. And this one's just for fun. It's not an ad, but it's about a Lincoln. It's Asleep At The Wheel doing Hot Rod Lincoln...




Comments

DouglasDyer said…
If the stimulus money is going towards Bowie covers, well that's just all right with me.
Trukindog said…
"Hot rod Lincoln" I love that song, on the rare occasion it comes on the radio I CRANK IT UP! I'll sit in a parkin lot and wait for it to finish before gettin out of the truck.
nonamedufus said…
Doug: I think someone at Lincoln's ad agency has a lot on the ball.

Trukindog: The first version I ever heard was Johnny Bond's in 1960. I loved it.

Popular posts from this blog

My Back Pages - October

Well, folks, I read seven (count 'em) seven books in October. One I didn't finish but even at that I hit the magic number 50 I estimated for myself by the end of the year. The six books I successfully waded through were, firstly, What Happened, Hillary Clinton's book on her bid for the Presidency. I''m a bit of a political junkie so I get off on this stuff but still it kinda struck me as one long whine over losing.
Next up was the excellent Canyon of Dreams: The Magic and Music of Laurel Canyon. Laurel Canyon was the fabled area outside of Los Angeles where many musicians and artists lived. Known as a 60s enclave, the book takes a look at just who lived there over the last 80 years. A fascinating read.
Next up was Lightfoot, a biography of Canadian folk singer Gordon Lightfoot. He may have been responsible for some iconic folk songs but he was also quite the womanizer and boozer. Enough said.
Then I read Dan Brown's new tome Origin, the fifth in the Robert Lan…

Tales From The Supermarket

Bob and Brenda worked in the supermarket. They weren't check-out clerks. And they weren't stock-boys. Brenda sure wasn't. And they weren't employees who worked in the fish section or the deli. No. They were on the shelves.

They hadn't been on the shelves very long but in that short time they'd developed a considerably close friendship.

The chatted all day when the store was busy and at night when the store was closed. They talked about everything. The talked about what raw products they came from. The talked about their manufacturing processes. And they talked about the long routes in semi-trailers that brought them to this store.

Oddly enough the one thing they never made clear to one another was just what product each of them was.

One day when Brenda was commenting on their friendship she told Bob she was grateful for their amity. "Are you Tea?" said Bob, pekoe-ing her way. "I thought I was Tea". You're coffee!"

This week's Tw…