Skip to main content

Send Her Packing



I suppose this should come as no surprise, given that most women have more clothes than they'll ever need, but the majority of women take too many clothes with them on holiday. Hey, you don't have to take my word for it. The facts are there in a recent study which found the average woman over-packs her holiday suitcase with 26 items she'll never wear.

What is it with women and clothes? In our house my wife and I share a walk-in closet. Yet, I only get to use one-quarter of the space. And that doesn't include another bedroom closet packed with her "winter" clothes.

And shoes. Mrs Dufus must be a distant cousin of Imelda Marcos. There are shoes in the bedroom closet, shoes in the front hall closet, shoes at the front door, shoes at the back door, shoes in the basement, shoes in the garage. I swear she must have a pair of shoes for every day of the year. Okay, okay, I'm exaggerating...a pair for every week of the year. Recently she told me she desperately needed a pair of navy blue shoes. Then one day she came home bursting at the seams with joy because she'd found a pair. The next day she came home from work only to tell me, guess what? "Well, you know those navy blue shoes?" "Yes, dear." "I, um, found three more pairs at the office."

At our front door
Dufus (1 pair running shoes)
Grandson (1 pair forgotten flip-flips)
Mrs D (5 pairs of shoes)

So getting back to this study. It found that a woman typically needs 34 separate items for a week-long vacation. However, she packs 60 "just in case." The average man, the study found, took two pair of shorts and a couple of T-shirts.

Now I've got to say that's me. Absolutely...to a "T" (pun intended). I've always travelled light.

But hey, I'll encourage Mrs D to pack all the clothes and shoes she thinks she needs for our holiday. Because given our luck, the airline will likely lose the suitcase...freeing up more of the closet for me.

Comments

quirkyloon said…
Ha! Funny and true!

Just this weekend I left for ONE night and had TWO bags. Not full-sized suitcases mind you, but still TWO freakin' bags. And yes, they were filled with many "just in case" items.

Ay, yi, yi.

Must be in the genes! hee hee
SP said…
May be your wife is a big Carrie Bradshaw fan :)
Mikewj said…
Hey, guess what, NoName? You and I wear the exact same style of running shoe! I could just hug you right now.
00dozo said…
That's the problem with those walk-in closets. They look too empty and become a waste of space if they aren't filled to the gills.

Although I no longer 'travel', I remember my days of sitting on the suitcase just to get it closed.
;-)
Ziva said…
I don't understand men. Don't you ever just pack your bag, then suddenly think, "I should really pack that little black dress too, in case Johnny Depp shows up and asks me to dinner. And I'll need the shoes to match. And the clutch bag. And what if I spill something on my shorts, better grab another pair, just in case. And skirts, too, in case it's really hot. Better take a few of those, you never know what mood you'll be in. And I'll need the black shoes for this skirt, but the white shoes for the other. And matching tops, obviously.."

I forgot what I was saying.
Angela Knutsen said…
I can just imagine the shopping that would be done if the airline lost the suitcase...
K A B L O O E Y said…
Not me. I haaaate bringing things I don't wear. If it weren't for the rest of the family, I'd be traveling with just a carry-on. My first trip to Europe, I packed so much I couldn't lift my luggage, and that did it. Never again.
Don said…
But I'm betting that the airline never looses her, but does yours...

I never got it either, and *I* always got caught short trying to transport all those bags!!

Don
http://exposeyourblog.com
nonamedufus said…
Do you feel like you need something in each hand to be at ease or something?
nonamedufus said…
Ha ha, that's a good one. I told her that and she said "Who is Carrie Bradshaw?"
nonamedufus said…
I love you, man!
nonamedufus said…
I think a walk in closet is an excuse for a woman just to have more clothes"
nonamedufus said…
Geez, now that's something I hadn't thought of.
nonamedufus said…
Now, you're a woman after my own closet.
nonamedufus said…
Not if mine's a carry on! Now my golf clubs are another matter. Lord help them if they lose those.
NickyandMike said…
You have a quarter of the walk-in closet?! Wow, Mrs. Dufus sure loves you. Jepeto has a drawer. In the basement.
nonamedufus said…
A drawer in the basement? And I used to think you were such a nice woman. Jepeto, I feel your pain.
NickyandMike said…
What? I am a nice woman! It's not in the garage, is it?
nonamedufus said…
Oh, in that case, then, you are indeed such a thoughtful and caring partner.
Linda Medrano said…
I too over-pack. Alex went to Germany for a month in winter and had one carry on piece of luggage. He did fine with that. I would have required four trunks and a small aircraft to carry them. I had over 100 pairs of shoes, but I really only "wear" two or three pairs. Closets? I turned a spare bedroom into a closet for me. Alex has the closet in my closet. Life isn't fair, Dufus.
nonamedufus said…
100 pair of shoes, Linda? You must be related to my wife, a distant cousin of Imelda Marcos!

You turned a spare bedroom into a closet? Don't you dare tell Mrs D!

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies