Skip to main content

A-Pickin' And A-Grinnin'

I'm a bit of a sports fanatic. Ask my wife. When the NFL season starts she calls herself the football widow. I enjoy watching hockey, although my team - the Senators - didn't make it very far into the post-season. I love basketball, although my Celtics lost to the Lakers in 7 games this year. I enjoy baseball. I like tennis and I'll watch soccer when there's nothing better to do.

Each of these sports have their own quirky activities. Take hockey. Players of this sport love to spit. They must build up a hell of a lot of mucus skating up and down the ice cause they're always spitting.



But hockey's long gone and baseball's in full swing (pun intended). They spit in baseball, too. Sunflower seeds, tobacco juice, and good old mucus build up. They also do something else in baseball. When players aren't slapping each other on the butt, they're grabbing themselves. Like this guy...


I'm not sure if this guy knows which hand the bat's in.

Remember when Roseanne Barr attempted to sing the national anthem at a game and got booed.  With good reason: she couldn't carry a bat, let a tune.  In response she gave the crowd a salute unique to baseball...


Then there's soccer.  From time to time the referee will award a team a free kick. When this happens the other team's defenders line up between the kicker and the goal and...yep, you guessed it.  They grab onto their privates...


You may not have known this but there's grabbing going on in tennis, too.  Oh yeah! The worst offender is Spain's Rafael Nadal.  Anyone who watches him regularly knows what I'm talking about.  He has a distinct routine when he serves that he follows each and every time.  He steps to the line pushes his hair back behind one ear, then the other and then he does this...



Personally, I think if he switched to boxers he wouldn't have this problem.  Just sayin'.

Comments

Sports wedgies... yeah, we're all having a good time now!
nonamedufus said…
Boom-Boom: Glad I made your day!
Donnie said…
Baseball players used to wear enough hardware twixt the groin to set off an airport metal detector a mile away. I used to carry a load down there when I played. It's all in the name of protection and family jewels, and can still hurt if you get popped just right. The slider was always the most painful.
nonamedufus said…
Don: Let's face it, guys who play baseball just have to make "adjustments".
00dozo said…
Ha ha! The soccer 'grab'. It's funny to watch the players wince just as the ball is kicked.
nonamedufus said…
00dozo: At the speed those soccer balls travel after being kicked they could do some permanent damage. It's no wonder those guys wince.
Anonymous said…
See? This is why I'm glad I'm no good at sports.

I don't want everybody watching me adjust my boob!

hee hee
nonamedufus said…
Quirks: Yeah there's enough boobs in sports as it is already. ha,ha,ha
Leeuna said…
Hahaha. Poor guys. How uncomfortable that must be. It's probably like when our bras ride up, or our straps fall off the shoulder. (not that mine ever do that. Just saying)
nonamedufus said…
Leeuna: Must be. I can only imagine.
Ziva said…
If I were as good at chasing a ball as those soccer players are, I would grab my crotch in front of thousands of people too, just for the sake of it. Or perhaps a good nose picking might be more appropriate since I don't really have anything to grab down there..
nonamedufus said…
Ziva: Nose pickin'? Now there's one I didn't cover off...or blowing your nose without a kleenex...that's always a good one.
Guest said…
BTW, the baseball player grabbing his crotch is Jim Thome of the Cleveland Indians!

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies