Skip to main content

Dufus Does Death To A Diet


Earlier in the week I promised to share with you how I prepared breakfast on our fishing trip. I've kept my promise. Keep in mind: it's a guy thing.
If cholesterol be the food of love, stick a fork in me, turn me over and call me Eros.

This high caloric, cholesterol-laden concoction is swimming in fat, grease and guilt but, nom nom nom, it is sooo good.

Nonamedufus' Specials have become a yearly tradition with me and my fishin’ buddies. Each June 3 or 4 of us traipse into the wilds of the “near North” of Ontario to Lake Temagami once bass season opens. We tell our wives we’re roughin’ it and we kick back at a place called Loon Lodge and watch satellite TV, drink beer, eat huge Lodge-prepared dinners, enjoy the sun and swat at the odd black fly. Oh, yeah, sometimes we actually fish.

Provisions for our fishing folly are procured ahead of time at the grocery, liquor and beer stores in North Bay about an hour away from Lake Temagami. The local economy (particularly the beer store) gets a considerable boost from 4 guys headed out for 8 days on the lake. Now the dinners are provided by the Lodge. So that leaves 2 other meals and snacks that the guys are responsible for. Deli meats, pickled eggs, chips, pretzels and hot dogs are the usual staples for lunch and snacks. But breakfast is another matter entirely.

In the late of the evening - well, actually, long before dinner - after a long, hard day out on the lake the guys break out the beer and the booze, sit back and shoot the breeze about the one that got away or deride the one guy who didn’t catch anything. We’re close like that – hey, two of these guys are my brothers. With a break for dinner, the discussing – and the drinking – continues until the moon rises and the call of the loon beckons us to our beds.

In the morning, it’s sometimes difficult to get moving for some reason. Here’s where the Nonamedufus' Specials come into play. The bread, the grease and the cholesterol counteracts the effects of the booze and simply soaks it up. A side of tomato juice is the perfect accompanying breakfast beverage, spiked or au natural. Of course after each of us eating two of these there’s a rush to see who can get to the bathroom first. But once our business is done, we’re fresh, revived and ready to face another beer, er, ah, day!

Here’s how you can make your own Nonamedufus' Specials:
-turn stove burner to #3
- melt, butter, margarine or cooking spray in pan
- cook bacon (2 strips per special) (low sodium back bacon can be substituted by wusses)
- cook eggs easy-over in same pan using grease from bacon
- place slice of cheddar cheese on egg when egg is flipped and let melt
- cut and toast English muffins
- add salt and pepper while eggs cooking
- place 2 slices of bacon and 1 egg with cheese on open English muffin
- put other half of English muffin on top
- voila, a feast fit for a king size hangover
- can be served with a side of fried potatoes (also cooked in bacon grease) and a glass of orange or tomato juice

Happy eating!

Comments

Now THAT'S a breakfast! Yum! I'd go fishing with you anytime... just as soon as I get back from the cardiologist.
Anonymous said…
I'm salivating.

*smile*
ReformingGeek said…
That looks awesome!
nonamedufus said…
CatLadyLarew: I'll put you on our guest list.

Quirkyloon: It doesn't take much.

ReformingGeek: Oh yeah, and it tastes even better.
Canadian Blend said…
That looks a lot like the Egg McMuffin I have each morning. I've a feeling your creation is a bit more flavorful. (Bacon makes everything better.)
nonamedufus said…
Canadian Bleand: It's all in the bacon grease!
Anonymous said…
I'll bet none of you are on cholesterol lowering meds, either.

Tsk!!!!

Ms. Thirty Something
Anonymous said…
Oh, man, I wish I hadn't had cheerios for breakfast now. Thanks.
Unknown said…
Oh yeah, right up my alley. Only two slices of bacon? Now that is for wusses. I say at least four per sandwich. I love to fish. I really do.
nonamedufus said…
Ms 30?: Actually, I'm on Crestor...so I don't have to worry, right?

UR: Cherrios? You're gonna live a long healthy life.

ettarose: Now you're talkin'!
nipsy said…
You just named my children's favorite breakfast meal. And I don't care how many doctors say its bad, I will NEVER stop cooking with bacon grease. At least I know whats in that.
nonamedufus said…
nipsy: So you're a member of the CAA? (Clogged Arteries Anonymous)
John J Savo said…
Hell yeah! Gotta love that bacon grease.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies