Skip to main content

Adventures in Panamaland (2) Miguel



I'm on the fly posting from an internet cafe in Panama. Waiting for my brother-in-law to get his internet installed. Can't post pics for some reason but here's our next instalment...Happy New Year everyone!

We've met some wonderful people on our trip to Panama, mostly through my brother-in-law who has met up with them while on previous visits. Juan Carlos and his wife Marcella are a delightful couple who live up the hill here. They have a striking house with the central part of the house's interior open to the skies. Out in the backyard they've got their own pool - like the 5 other pools on site aren't enough for them - and they have a fantastic view of the rest of the complex, overlooking all the residences below, the beach and the ocean. On New Year's eve they invited us to their place for a dinner party, along with about 45 other people. I was surprised that so many people spoke English. The neighbour next door, for example, was actually American and her father had been in the armed forces stationed in what used to be the canal zone. Her grandfather actually worked on the efforts to build the canal, Thomas, a good friend of our hosts, while now a resident of Panama is originally from Sweden. Juan Carlos's wife Marcella's family hails from Bagota, Columbia. It was most interesting to encounter these folks and socialize with them, all of whom went out of their way to speak English to us.


Earlier in the day, my brother-in-law and I helped Juan Carlos out by driving down to a nearby restaurant and with the help of Juan Carlos's nephew Miguel brought back 4 banquet tables and 30 chairs in the back of our van. We took them back to the restaurant the next day on what had to have been the hottest day we've encountered thus far on our holidays. So we not only attended a party but we got in a good work out too.


One of the first people we met upon arriving at the party was Miguel's father, Juan Carlos's brother, also named Miguel. He was quite jovial, spoke English, and seemed to have had a wee start on the celebrations. But nevertheless a nice guy. Mrs D and I met so many people that night we were glad there wasn't a test later to see if we remembered their names.


Midnight was spectacular. We had a great view of the resort's fireworks on the beach, the fireworks from the nearby hotel The Breezes to the left and those of the Royal Decameron resort down the beach to the right. As well we could see more fireworks behind us from little towns down the highway. From our perch on the hill it was a fabulous panorama of pyrotechincs. And of course the champagne was flowing to toast in the new year. Which was a good thing, considering what had happened to me. I'd spent a rather dry evening you see. We'd been told it was a BYOB party so Mrs D and I dutifully packed up a bottle of wine for her and 3 Balboa beers for me. We arrived. Met the father and son duo of Miguel Sr. and Miguel Jr., and stashed our booze. I poured a glass of vino for my wife, opened a beer for myself and my brother-in-law, who doesn't drink, settled in to his customary cranberry juice. We began to circulate and socialize and tried our best to avoid Marcella who desperately wanted my brother-in-law and I to dance.


Oh, time for another drink. I poured my wife another glass of white wine and went to pull another Balboa from the cooler. But there weren't any. What the..? Don't tell me somebody's gone and swiped my beer? That hasn't happened to me since my college days. It was a long, dry party until the champagne came out at midnight. My brother-in-law had done a little investigating and determined who had swiped my beer…the effervescent Miguel Sr.! Oh, well. I let it go and chalked it up to not keeping an eye on my beer. Besides there'd been enough fireworks already. But guess who shook my hand and wished me "Happy New Year" about four times before we called it a night…a wobbly Miguel Sr. I think good old Miguel's new year started just a little bit earlier than the rest of us. And he rang it in with Mr. Balboa!


Comments

Kelly said…
I can't be the only one who is hearing Van Halen's "Panama" in her head while reading this.

Or maybe I am.

Have a wonderful time and hurry back.
Linda Medrano said…
Look on the bright side! You won't have the hangover Miguel Sr will have! LOL!
Nicky said…
It sounds gorgeous! And another silver lining is that you wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if you'd been drunk and passed out under a table :-)
Anonymous said…
Marcella wanted you and your brother-in-law to dance? Do you have a routine with each other?

I picturing Irish Stepdancing for some reason.

*grin*
brookeamanda said…
Soooo jealous! Wish I was somewhere warm right now!
00dozo said…
Um ... if you visit the canal, be careful where you step - they widened it, you know.
;-)

Ha! Van Halen - yep, I can hear it now! You will endeavour to get a group photo of y'all with Panama Hats, eh?
Donnie said…
I've been away from the keyboard too long. Looks like I'm missing all of the fun. Party at Juan Carlos'? Hell, count me in!
Panama always reminds me of Arsenic and Old Lace. Miguel Sr. better not touch any more of your brewskies or he might just become one of Uncle Teddy's Yellow Fever victims!
nonamedufus said…
Kelly: With me it's "Living La Vida Loco" and loving every minute.
nonamedufus said…
Linda: Hahahaha. That's good. Always look on the bright side of life... At least I was responsible for somebody's "happiness".
nonamedufus said…
Nicky: How true! No, I had never seen such fireworks in my life. It really was a memorable evening.
nonamedufus said…
Quirks: No she wanted to dance with each of us and neither of us like to dance. You should see these Latin people shake it. A-ree-bah!
nonamedufus said…
brookeamanda: You know I had a really witty comeback for you but I think it's better not to repeat it. I'll think of you next time I'm down by the beach.
nonamedufus said…
00dozo: We went to the canal the first day. They haven't widened it yet. But they're working on it. It really is a marvel. You know I was never into David Lee Roth. I'll have to check out You Tube for that song.
nonamedufus said…
Don, my man, welcome back! Missed you at the party. Been thinking of you. G;lad to see you're alive and well, guy.
nonamedufus said…
Boom Boom: Oh you know me better than that. The worst I'd do is pee in his beer.
Kelly said…
I can't be the only one who is hearing Van Halen's "Panama" in her head while reading this.

Or maybe I am.

Have a wonderful time and hurry back.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies