Skip to main content

The Truth Is Out There



*Cue theme from X-Files*

Well Mulder would be happy.  Fox Mulder, you'll recall, was the central character of the television series X-Files, an FBI agent who believed in aliens.  

I don't know why but the existence of aliens has played a recurring theme in science fiction - literature, radio and movies.   Go back to one of my favourites - Orson Wells' radio play "War of the Worlds".  Or, coming full circle, just look at the recent television series "V".  

But of course these stories are all fiction, they're made up, make-believe.

However, a global poll conducted recently indicates 1 in 5 people believe aliens exist and they live in our midst disguised as humans.  Now 20% of people polled isn't a lot but nevertheless it's a remarkable number.

Methinks somebody has been watching a little too much of the sci-fi channel.

Back a few years ago, before the sci-fi channel existed, when my children were younger, I might have been a part of that 20%.  Yep, there were times when I may have questioned where the heck my kids came from.  

And I'm sure I'm not the only parent who's exclaimed "Are you from another planet, or something?" as the plot from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" crossed my mind.

Now, though, when I think back on those days I seem to recall they looked at me like I was the strange one.  And I don't mean Mork from Ork.

Nanu-nanu.



This post originally appeared on Sound Off To America

Comments

Dr Max Tunguska said…
Time to put tin foil back on our heads and check the backs of friends necks for tenticle marks.
nonamedufus said…
idifficult: Beware of people on the street corner who ask you to take them to your leader!
I think I may have been abducted by aliens... which is why you haven't seen much of me lately.
nonamedufus said…
CL: I hope they're treating you well?
Donnie said…
We have a large number of aliens disguised as humans down here. They're called Mexicans.
nonamedufus said…
Don: Beam me up, Sanchez.
Tin foil hats don't work, people! Michael Menkin has proven that the only material for an effective anti-thought-manipulation-by-aliens hat is Velostat from 3M.

And he should know -- his father, Lawrence Menkin, was the creator of Captain Video.

Check out his website, Stop Alien Abductions. Read the testimonials of those who have made hats from his design:

"I am happy to report that the Thought Screen Helmet has been performing beautifully! It’s been over six months now and NOT ONE INCIDENT! Aside from some of the naive neighborhood kids and their taunting it’s been a blissful period."

Aliens are powerless against it. Apparently they have not yet developed the technology to identify people through facial recognition.

Or the technology to remove hats, apparently.
00dozo said…
Technically, I am an alien, but of the terrestrial kind.

To be honest, I still look at my parents as having originated from another planet and/or parallel universe.

I've read a lot of science fiction, have watched too much of it, and believe there is a pod growing in the backyard with my name on it.
nonamedufus said…
Frank: Thought Screen Helmet - don't leave home without it.
nonamedufus said…
00dozo: Well, as long as just your name's on it and your twin isn't growing inside it!
Leeuna said…
I started to leave a comment but I noticed that my space ship has arrived. Sorry, I'll see you when I get baaaaaaaccccckkkkk.
nonamedufus said…
Leeuna: Well, like they say in the movies: "Klaatu barada nikto".

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies