Skip to main content

Just Let Me Babble A Moment



Okay, I think I've been living under a rock. Or I've spent too much time on the internet or reading books or watching "On Demand" TV series. Or all of those things. Am I babbling?

The other night my wife and I were killing an hour between two favourite shows on TV. We flipped over to the Food Network and watched that great old stand-by "Chopped". But this is the Canadian version hosted by Tori Spelling's husband Dean McDermott. Anyway, I think it was the entree round and when the chefs stuck their hands into their mystery boxes  - yes I know how that sounds - they came up with broccolini. Brocco whatee? I turned to my wife and asked "Do you know what that is? She said I think it's broccoli and asparagus". I said "Then why don't they call it Broccagus?" She said "I don't know. Shut up, I'm watching this". I have to say this is a habit of mine. I always talk while we're watching something. In a movie I'll lean over and say "Hey, that's that guy from That 70s show isn't it?" Drives her nuts. And yet I'm still alive to do it again and again. Love is strange.

So it's not asparagus. I looked it up. It's a hybrid of broccoli and kai-lan. Yeah, that's Japanese. Apparently it's great in stir-fry. Who knew?

So while we're on this babble thing I started thinking about this "ini" business. What's up with that?  The one thing that immediately came to mind was spaghettini.Yeah, now as if spaghetti pasta wasn't thin enough someone had to go and make it thinner. Jerks.

And while I'm babbling here why did they go and make Coronita? It's a Corona, only smaller. Who wants a smaller beer. Hell, here in Quebec you can buy a man's version of Corona in quarts - the bottle not the gem, although Corona is a gem of a beer.

Speaking of little things. This is all too much for my little mind to take in. Pour me a Coronarita, will ya? Wanna join me? A couple of these and I'm sure we'll babble all night.



"Babble" was this week's prompt over at Studio30Plus. Skip on over there and see what all the commotion is about.



Comments

ReformingGeek said…
That's a bubbling, babbling, bunch of broccolini, Buster Bray. I think I'll stick to a simple shot of tequila with my blogotini, whatever that is. I just made it up.
A few of those Coronaritas and I'd be babbling, too!
nonamedufus said…
You're berry funny.
nonamedufus said…
I didn't even know those martini's existed until I looked up Coronita. We should try some of those at the next #lostmyliverpalooza. I'll even spring for those fancy little bottle holders. We'll drink them while we're having our broccolini and dip.
Cheryl said…
I love that Maryse hasn't killed you yet. I'm pretty sure Rick is on the verge of making me into Cherylini and burying the pieces if the ground ever thaws.
nonamedufus said…
Funny, in our house I had to hide all the sharp objects for fear Maryse would make me into Johnalini.
Jayne said…
I love Coronita. I buy it all the time and call it "Barbie beer." I love broccolini, too. I do not love people who talk during movies. Yet another reason why I'm single. :)
Lauren said…
I babble during TV, too, and say "isn't that..." During the Walking Dead,that's a huge no, no in our house.
Katy B. said…
Having not so long ago suffered through a bunch of kids' shows with a little one before he went to Kindergarten, here I was thinking you meant a Nick Jr. show.
http://www.nickjr.com/ni-hao-kai-lan/
Katy B. said…
That's definitely a NO-NO in my house (hence the shouting). lol
nonamedufus said…
Barbie beer...I love it, Jayne. I always thought that part of coupledom was sharing your inner most thoughts with your partner. Alas my partner doesn't think that extends to while watching TV or movies.
nonamedufus said…
I know exactly what you're talking about, Lauren!
nonamedufus said…
Never got into that show for some reason even though my wife thinks sometimes I'm walking dead.
nonamedufus said…
We love animated films like Shrek and the like. And yes,I'm talk though those too like "hey, isn't that voice John Cleese?" She hates when I do that.
Joe said…
That's some good babble, there - and I can absolutely relate to the mid-movie (or TV show etc.) babbling. I do it all the time. Luckily, [Maris] does, too. One of our favorite inventions of the digital age is the button that lets us rewind live TV.
nonamedufus said…
I hate that button. I always go too far back then too far forward to try ad catch up, then too far back again. Just saying'.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies