Skip to main content

Toronto Sports Trek

Two weeks ago my son and I drove to Toronto. It was his College study break and we had tickets to a Raptors game. What better break from studying than a basketball game! They were playing Cleveland and Lebron James was in town. It was a wet dreary day, but we killed some time doing a little sightseeing. Our first stop was the Hockey Hall of Fame. We hadn't been there since he was a little kid.

The picture above was taken outside the buidling. The one below is of the marvelous atrium where the entrance to the Hall is located.

We found tons of hockey artifacts, including these bronzed skates that once belonged to Bobby Orr...

And there were some items to get us...a couple of Senators fans...excited. These 2 displays show Jason Spezza then, as a Junior...
and now, as a key part of Ottawa's line-up...

Part of the Hall is a former bank and the original Staley Cup is kept in the vault...

While Ottawa hasn't won the Cup in recent years, although they came close, they did win it several times many years ago, including 1926-27 - I may be old, but not that old. I wasn't around to see it, unfortnately. And Toronto fans think they've waited a long time for a cup!

The cup used today is out in the open for all to see. We didn't see the guy with the white gloves that travels everywhere the cup goes, however. Maybe he was in the men's room. I hope he took his gloves off.

From one sports shrine to another, we then trekked the couple of blocks to "The Hanger", the Air Canada Centre to see Lebron James. That's him warming up in the centre of the picture.

And with the tip off the game was underway...
The Raptors lost but my son and I were the real winners. We got to see Lebron James and spend some quality father-son time together. Oh, and what makes Lebron James so special? Judge for yourself...

Comments

Unknown said…
Way to go Dad! Great pictures too. When I lived in Phoenix I went to all the hockey games to watch the Roadrunners. They are the L.A. kings minor league or whatever. I did get to see the Kings play, but too bad for me Wayne Gretsky did not play. I also used to watch the Phx Suns and watched them play the Pistons. That was back when Sir Charles Barclay was around. I hope I spelled all these names right!
nonamedufus said…
The Round Mound of Rebound? We saw him score something like 42 points in Detroit! Quite a game.
Anonymous said…
Hockey hall of fame = pretty cool even tho i'm not a big fan of hockey.

Where abouts are you guys? I'm about an hour west of T.O.
Canucklehead said…
Hey! First time here -- not the last. Is there anywhere where ettarose does NOT hang out! Holy shitballs - she gets around more then Paris Hilton on a coke bender during the NBA All Star Weekend! I lived in Toronto for years and worked around the corner from the HHOF. Anyway, I'm a Leafs fan myself (YES - I KNOW) but have decided I like you anyways. All the best. CHEERS!
Unknown said…
Sounds like one heck of a fun day !!! I'm a sabres fan myself..
nonamedufus said…
Mike: Ottawa area

Canucklehead: Thanks for dropping by. Look forward to your visits in future. Lived in Toronto as a kid - have divided loyalties.

Dani: Shuffle off to Buffalo.
Canucklehead said…
Hey! First time here -- not the last. Is there anywhere where ettarose does NOT hang out! Holy shitballs - she gets around more then Paris Hilton on a coke bender during the NBA All Star Weekend! I lived in Toronto for years and worked around the corner from the HHOF. Anyway, I'm a Leafs fan myself (YES - I KNOW) but have decided I like you anyways. All the best. CHEERS!

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies