Skip to main content

Le Rond-point

On the Quebec side of the Ottawa River they've extended the Boulevard des Allumettieres (the old McConnell-Laramée boulevard/boulevard de l'Outaouais) so that it's possible for us to travel from Aylmer to the Interprovincial Bridge and over the river to Ottawa. We often return home along this route when we've been to the Byward Market for lunch or dinner.


There's one disconcerting feature associated with this roadway - a series of 4 "rond-points" or roundabouts (I guess that would make for 4 disconcerting features). Maryse and I always comment on how dangerous these roundabouts are, each one an intersection of 2 crossing streets. The problem is twofold: a) a distinct lack of respect for who has the right of way, and b) unexpected right turns from drivers in the inside left lane. You really are taking your life in your hands as you navigate through a "rond-point" and one has to drive very defensively.


We travelled this route last night after dinner in the Market with a friend and ironically enough yesterday afternoon I came across an article about roundabouts on the web. What I read and saw made me thankful we didn't have roundabouts here like elsewhere in the world...

Here's what traffic circulation looks like around the Arc de Triumph (Place Charles de Gaulle) in Paris...


Here's a British highway sign advising drivers they're approaching a roundabout... Note there's 5 "mini" roundabouts within a larger one...

There are three intersections like this in UK: in Swindon, Hemel and in Cardiff.
An overhead shot gives you a better idea of how confusing it would be to attempt to drive through this roundabout...
See exactly how it works here and here. A cheat sheet "how to get out" is more helpful:


Obviously, the photos above couldn't have been taken during rush hour. I think the one below was, though...

Book: Memoirs by Brian Mulroney (140 pages to go!)

Music: Fragile ("Roundabout" - natch!) by Yes

Popular posts from this blog

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy! ...

The Dangling Conversation

There's a debate underway in my household between my wife and I. I say "underway" because it hasn't quite reached the "raging" stage. If you want raging, my wife (a Francophone) and I (an Anglophone) from time to time (usually in a weak moment of my own making) slip into our number one discussion around why we don't speak more French at home - ergo - when am I, a former public servant who learned French at the expense of our gracious taxpayers and was technically rated bilingual (even though I hardly used it), going to improve my use of Canada's other language? This one never gets resolved, hence it's ongoing nature. But the current debate is over a remark I casually made the other day. I'm no geek, but with a lot of time on my hands I surf the web, converse on Facebook and such and - I have to admit - "I'm nonamedufus and I'm a Twitterholic". In an epiphany-like moment I was struck by the apparent impact of social networkin...

30 Days of Photos III #4 Sour

Check out Ziva's Inferno for the rest of today's photos.