Skip to main content

Amazing Arctic

Last week Maryse departed the cold and snow of Ottawa for the colder and snowier Arctic. Her trip began in Edmonton and continued on to the Inuit communities of Inuvik, Tuktoyaktuk and Paulatuk. Sponsored by the Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami, 22 federal bureaucrats visited the communities, met residents and elders and partook in cultural feasts and events.

EDMONTON

Their first stop was the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Edmonton, thee hospital where northern Inuit go when they require hospital health services. That's "Doctor" Pesant on the right with several of her colleagues...



INUVIK


Then it was on to Inuvik, Northwest Territories. Here's the local church - in the shape of an igloo - and school.



Then it was off to Tuktoyaktuk - a five hour drive via "ice road" stopping en route to visit a gas drilling site...

TUKTOYAKTUT

Maryse has wanted to visit Tuktoyaktut or "Tuk" for as long as she can remember. This trip was a dream come true. Here's a shot of the community from a distance, pics of the local housing, and finally of a special visitor...



PAULATUK

And then the group flew to Paulatuk, the northernmost settlement of mainland continental North America...

Here, they witnessed a gorgeous sunset, saw the community church, help shovel out the elder's house and went ice-fishing!
(Guess who's the monkey in the middle?)
She had a fabulous time, loved every minute of her Arctic tour. In summing up, and repeating that well-worn phrase of those left behind everywhere, Maryse got to visit the Arctic and all I got was this T-shirt!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy! ...

The Dangling Conversation

There's a debate underway in my household between my wife and I. I say "underway" because it hasn't quite reached the "raging" stage. If you want raging, my wife (a Francophone) and I (an Anglophone) from time to time (usually in a weak moment of my own making) slip into our number one discussion around why we don't speak more French at home - ergo - when am I, a former public servant who learned French at the expense of our gracious taxpayers and was technically rated bilingual (even though I hardly used it), going to improve my use of Canada's other language? This one never gets resolved, hence it's ongoing nature. But the current debate is over a remark I casually made the other day. I'm no geek, but with a lot of time on my hands I surf the web, converse on Facebook and such and - I have to admit - "I'm nonamedufus and I'm a Twitterholic". In an epiphany-like moment I was struck by the apparent impact of social networkin...

30 Days of Photos III #4 Sour

Check out Ziva's Inferno for the rest of today's photos.