Skip to main content

Chamber of Secrets - @Studio30Plus Writing Prompt


Charlie was despondent. For over three weeks now he'd sat at his desk staring at the blank white screen of his computer. And yet, he'd thought of everything but the task at hand. He'd filled out his grocery list. He'd planned his television programming for the month. He'd even thought about his upcoming date with Evelyn. But he'd not been able to create one sentence of his novel.

Jack, Charlie's room-mate would laugh each time he passed by in the hall. He'd laugh on his way to his bedroom. He'd laugh on his way to the kitchen. And Charlie was about ready to blow his stack.

And then, on one trip down the hall, Jack stopped in the doorway and said to Charlie "How's the great novel coming?"

"Not so well" replied Charlie, sadly.

"Maybe you need a break. You need to get outside. Hit up a bar for a drink. See a movie. Something." said Jack.

"No" said Charlie. "I have so many thoughts swirling in my head but I just can't transpose any of them to this damn keyboard."

"Well, can I tell you what you should do if you need inspiration?" inquired Jack.

"Oh, yes, please" replied Charlie.

"Well, follow me then" said Jack. And with that he led Charlie out of his study and turned right down the hall. He clicked on the light, walked to the end of the hall and pointed to the closed door.

"What?" said Charlie. "That's the bathroom."

"Indeed" intoned Jack. "It's where I do my best thinking. Haven't you ever sat on the throne for a good half hour working on a decent movement? And in that time haven't you thought of all myriad of things and how to solve them?"

"Um, no" said Charlie. "Never."

"Well, no time like the present" claimed Jack. "Welcome to what I like to think of as the chamber of secrets!"

"Ha" laughed Charlie, "I guess my creativity has been a little constipated lately."

"That's the spirit" chuckled Jack. "There's no telling what kind of crap you'll come up with!"


Comments

Laura Alonso said…
Classic writer's block and I love how you "unblock" it. So many connotations going through my mind here, could get into some toilet trouble! Fun write and delightful read!
nonamedufus said…
Thank you. The process was really quite cheap. I only had to spend a penny.
ReformingGeek said…
Ok, but just don't let the shit hit the fan!
nonamedufus said…
Oh, my, Reffie. I'm flush with embarrassment.
ReformingGeek said…
Guess that's better than the runs.
nonamedufus said…
I like listening to classical music on the toilet in the morning, It's my first movement of the day.
Joe said…
Love it! It's the chamber POT of secrets! Or something. Well-done!
Jayne said…
LOL! I'm on my way. :)
nonamedufus said…
I'll be sure and save you a seat, Jayne.
Kir said…
I am laughing in spite of myself. I live with three boys who all take their bathroom time very very seriously. The shower is normally my place where inspiration strikes, bu I guess the toilet would suffice. ;)
nonamedufus said…
I start to wonder when a teenager spends too long in the shower.
Tara R. said…
Brilliant. We call it the Library in my house.
nonamedufus said…
That's far more sophisticated than crapatorium.
I think I'd better spend some time on the Kohler Memoirs Stately Comfort Height 2-piece 1.28 GPF Round Toilet in White if I ever want to write another blog post. Talk about being constipated... geesh!
nonamedufus said…
Do it. You may be surprised with the outcome.

Popular posts from this blog

Tales From The Supermarket

Bob and Brenda worked in the supermarket. They weren't check-out clerks. And they weren't stock-boys. Brenda sure wasn't. And they weren't employees who worked in the fish section or the deli. No. They were on the shelves.

They hadn't been on the shelves very long but in that short time they'd developed a considerably close friendship.

The chatted all day when the store was busy and at night when the store was closed. They talked about everything. The talked about what raw products they came from. The talked about their manufacturing processes. And they talked about the long routes in semi-trailers that brought them to this store.

Oddly enough the one thing they never made clear to one another was just what product each of them was.

One day when Brenda was commenting on their friendship she told Bob she was grateful for their amity. "Are you Tea?" said Bob, pekoe-ing her way. "I thought I was Tea". You're coffee!"

This week's Tw…

My Back Pages - November

I read five books last month bringing my year to date total to 61, well past the 50 I estimated at the beginning of the year. And I've yet to get through December.

The month started out with The Nix, the debut novel by Nathan Hill which has been receiving a lot off positive reviews. In it Hill flips back and fourth from the 1968 Chicago protests and 2011 in a desperate search for the truth behind why his mother abandoned him at an early age. In between Hill takes on politics, the media and addiction as well as other aspects of society. It's a well-spun tale and I quite enjoyed reading it.

Next up was the auto-biographical I Am Brian Wilson of Beach Boys fame. This was somewhat of a scattered affair but an interesting read nonetheless. Wilson - or his ghostwriter - however is no Hemingway.

Then it was on to one of my favourite authors, Ian Rankin and his latest tale of now retired Inspector John Rebus, Rather Be The Devil. I never tire of these stories and this is the 21st in …