Skip to main content

Chamber of Secrets - @Studio30Plus Writing Prompt


Charlie was despondent. For over three weeks now he'd sat at his desk staring at the blank white screen of his computer. And yet, he'd thought of everything but the task at hand. He'd filled out his grocery list. He'd planned his television programming for the month. He'd even thought about his upcoming date with Evelyn. But he'd not been able to create one sentence of his novel.

Jack, Charlie's room-mate would laugh each time he passed by in the hall. He'd laugh on his way to his bedroom. He'd laugh on his way to the kitchen. And Charlie was about ready to blow his stack.

And then, on one trip down the hall, Jack stopped in the doorway and said to Charlie "How's the great novel coming?"

"Not so well" replied Charlie, sadly.

"Maybe you need a break. You need to get outside. Hit up a bar for a drink. See a movie. Something." said Jack.

"No" said Charlie. "I have so many thoughts swirling in my head but I just can't transpose any of them to this damn keyboard."

"Well, can I tell you what you should do if you need inspiration?" inquired Jack.

"Oh, yes, please" replied Charlie.

"Well, follow me then" said Jack. And with that he led Charlie out of his study and turned right down the hall. He clicked on the light, walked to the end of the hall and pointed to the closed door.

"What?" said Charlie. "That's the bathroom."

"Indeed" intoned Jack. "It's where I do my best thinking. Haven't you ever sat on the throne for a good half hour working on a decent movement? And in that time haven't you thought of all myriad of things and how to solve them?"

"Um, no" said Charlie. "Never."

"Well, no time like the present" claimed Jack. "Welcome to what I like to think of as the chamber of secrets!"

"Ha" laughed Charlie, "I guess my creativity has been a little constipated lately."

"That's the spirit" chuckled Jack. "There's no telling what kind of crap you'll come up with!"


Comments

Laura Alonso said…
Classic writer's block and I love how you "unblock" it. So many connotations going through my mind here, could get into some toilet trouble! Fun write and delightful read!
nonamedufus said…
Thank you. The process was really quite cheap. I only had to spend a penny.
ReformingGeek said…
Ok, but just don't let the shit hit the fan!
nonamedufus said…
Oh, my, Reffie. I'm flush with embarrassment.
ReformingGeek said…
Guess that's better than the runs.
nonamedufus said…
I like listening to classical music on the toilet in the morning, It's my first movement of the day.
Joe said…
Love it! It's the chamber POT of secrets! Or something. Well-done!
Jayne said…
LOL! I'm on my way. :)
nonamedufus said…
I'll be sure and save you a seat, Jayne.
Kir said…
I am laughing in spite of myself. I live with three boys who all take their bathroom time very very seriously. The shower is normally my place where inspiration strikes, bu I guess the toilet would suffice. ;)
nonamedufus said…
I start to wonder when a teenager spends too long in the shower.
Tara R. said…
Brilliant. We call it the Library in my house.
nonamedufus said…
That's far more sophisticated than crapatorium.
I think I'd better spend some time on the Kohler Memoirs Stately Comfort Height 2-piece 1.28 GPF Round Toilet in White if I ever want to write another blog post. Talk about being constipated... geesh!
nonamedufus said…
Do it. You may be surprised with the outcome.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies