Skip to main content

Bibliofile - October


I read eight books in October bringing the year's total to eighty-four. I started the month with a book about Canadian politics by respected journalist Chantal Hebert called The Morning After. It's a fascinating look at the 1995 Quebec referendum and how no one really had any long-term plans respecting what would happen should the Yes forces win, including the Yes forces. For a political junkie like myself I found it a fascinating read.

Next up was the hilarious sequel to The Rosie Project, The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion. I recommend the first and the sequel to anyone looking for a good laugh-out-loud read.

The month didn't pass without a music industry book. This time it was Something So Strong by Chris Bourke, an extensive, thousand page plus look at Australia's Crowded House. Of course, as is usually the case with these books, reading this one lead to a buying spree on Amazon with two Split Enz CDs - a precursor to Crowded House - A Crowded House CD, and a Tim Finn CD, an on-again, off-again member of Crowded House and older brother to creative genius Neil. I've gotta stop reading these books. This book was interesting. I've always liked Crowded House. But it was a tad on the long side.

I closed out the month with James Dashner's The Maze series, a young adult trilogy that you'd like if you enjoyed The Hunger Games or His Dark Materials. I liked it, although I felt a tad let down by the third volume and the ending. Overall though it was a good read.

In between I read another Elvis Cole novel this time featuring his partner Joe Pike and The Humans where an alien takes over the body of a mathematics professor from Cambridge to hilarious consequences. My Hematologist, who knows I read a lot, recommended this to me on my last visit. I'm glad he did.

Here's all the books I read in October:

The Morning After - Chantal Hebert ****
The Rosie Effect - Graeme Simsion
The First Rule (Elvis Cole #13) - Robert Crais ****
Something So Strong - Chris Bourke ****
The Humans - Matt Haig ****
The Maze Runner (Book 1) - James Dashner ****
The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner Book 2) - James Dashner ****
Death Cure (Maze Runner Book 3) - James Dashner ***

That was my month between the covers. How about you?


Comments

Shawn Ohara said…
I loved Split Enz way back when. Check out Tim Finn's Young Mountain. Really like that from his self titled 1989 album.
nonamedufus said…
I have several Tim Finn CDs, several Neil Finn CDs several Finn Brothers CDs, several spit Enz CDs and all the Crowded House CDs but, Shawn, you've managed to come up with something I don't have and hadn't heard of before. You're a damn enabler.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies