Skip to main content

I'm Dying Here - A Studio30+ Prompt



You know, I think I'm quickly becoming a grumpy old man. My wife says so. I've reached the point where, just to warn her in a conversation I preface my outburst with "I'm gonna go to grumpy old man mode here..." and then let fly.

I confess it's an affliction. I was never like this in my younger days. But now? Now I've got a word or two about almost anything. And don't get me started on today's so-called popular music or Quebec political party leaders. But what am I talking about?

Like when you're driving down the street and the car in front of you abruptly turns, no signal, no warning. So I shout to my vacant vehicle interior "Hey, there's a little stick on your driving shaft. It's called a bloody blinker. I'm dying here!"

Same when some joker in a fancy car parks himself in the passing lane going 5-10 miles an hour under the speed limit. "Hey, move outta the passing lane where, you know, people are supposed to go fast. I'm dying here!"

Now it wasn't enough that You Tube placed ads in front of videos that there's nothing you can do but watch. But now when you get to your video, there's a banner ad at the bottom that you have to click to remove (Everybody, with me...) "Hey, I'm dying here!"

Speaking of those banner ads, TV has suddenly latched onto them and you can't click them away. They pop up over credits, during shows and across sub-titles. Christ (say it with me now) "I'm dying here!"

And another thing, I don't know about the States but Canada has evolved to a twelve month a year election campaign period even though no election has been called. I'm sick and tired of the slew of negative ads all parties have come to broadcast, let alone the ones the sitting government pushes to promote itself. It's like I'm supposed to be so thankful to "the motherland" or something. "Man, (it's okay, I'll take this one) I'm dying here!"

But it's not all bad. My charming wife - who used to think the lyrics to Take Me Home by John Denver were "West Virginia, honky momma, take me home country roads" came up with a new one today when she told me she always thought Neil Young was singing "keep on rocking on the freeway."

Ha, ha, I was dying, here. But thankfully in a good way.

Sneak on over to Studio30+ for a peek at how others covered this week's prompt of moribund/dying.

Comments

Nothing like a few Maryseisms to prevent your early demise!
nonamedufus said…
Exactly, Paula. I don't know what I'd do without those Maryseisms. She's the light of my life. (Too over the top?)
Not over the top at all... Maryse sparkles!
nonamedufus said…
She's a rainbow!
ReformingGeek said…
You're killing me, John.

Sigh.
nonamedufus said…
It wasn't intentional, Reffie.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies