Skip to main content

Here We Go Again - @Studio30Plus Writing Prompt


Before he heard the report he felt the change in air pressure as the bullet streaked past his cheek. As he quickly ducked down he thought to himself "I'm a lot luckier than Peterson who yesterday caught a sniper's bullet between the eyes".

Lieutenant Brown turned to the men in his unit - the men left in his unit. Altogether five of them huddled behind the remaining wall in the rubble of what last week was a church. "Maybe that was it" thought Brown, "I either have a horse shoe up my ass or some higher being is looking over me."

But Peterson and four others had not been so lucky and now Brown's advance team was half the number it used to be.

A week in the rubble had taken it's toll. Five men were dead and the remaining five were very unsettled, nervous and jumpy. Especially at night. It was hard to see in the dark and there was little firing from the enemy. But any little noise would cause their hearts to beat faster and prompt sweat to run down their foreheads and across their cheeks. It was almost more nerve-wracking than the daylight and the men got very little sleep.

Brown was worried as he tossed and turned. The rest of the troop should have caught up to the advance team by now. But instead Brown and his men had to fight off the enemy alone and they were severely outnumbered in their efforts.

The sun slowly rose, brightening the sky and the men clutched their rifles in anticipation of the fire-fight to come.

Sam paused the Xbox and ran to the washroom. He returned and said "Ah, that's better". He turned to Jeff, stretched his hand out over the resume button and excitedly said to his playing partner "Here we go again".


Comments

ReformingGeek said…
Whew. I breathed a sigh of relief on that one.
nonamedufus said…
I had you worried did I?
Katy B. said…
Quite a shifting of gears. I was also tense before the last paragraph!
Kir said…
I don't think there is one human being that doesn't think of (and thank, over and over again) our military. I honestly couldn't do the job they do.

So my heart was pounding in my chest, thinking about sleep deprivation, sand in my eyes and death being close enough to take me.
But the way you ended it was perfect, because all those emotions are still there, but those men are safe, ready for battle.

As usual the twists you bring are fresh and well written.
nonamedufus said…
I started writing this without an ending in mind. In fact, I thought I'd end it with the Lieutenant sighing the prompt. This just seemed a better way to go.
nonamedufus said…
This tale is timely since the Canadian government only this week voted to participate in the Iraq war against ISIS. I'm not a big fan of war, or our participation, so I went another route.
Kenneth Lawson said…
Definitely not what it appears to to start out as. its amazing how wrapped up in a game and how real it can be, especially when its written like that,, good job..
jannaverse said…
I like surprise endings. Not so good when it involves finding half a spider inside a muffin, but good in stories like this.
Joe said…
I felt myself physically relax when I saw that it was a video game. That was intense.

Popular posts from this blog

Tales From The Supermarket

Bob and Brenda worked in the supermarket. They weren't check-out clerks. And they weren't stock-boys. Brenda sure wasn't. And they weren't employees who worked in the fish section or the deli. No. They were on the shelves.

They hadn't been on the shelves very long but in that short time they'd developed a considerably close friendship.

The chatted all day when the store was busy and at night when the store was closed. They talked about everything. The talked about what raw products they came from. The talked about their manufacturing processes. And they talked about the long routes in semi-trailers that brought them to this store.

Oddly enough the one thing they never made clear to one another was just what product each of them was.

One day when Brenda was commenting on their friendship she told Bob she was grateful for their amity. "Are you Tea?" said Bob, pekoe-ing her way. "I thought I was Tea". You're coffee!"

This week's Tw…

My Back Pages - November

I read five books last month bringing my year to date total to 61, well past the 50 I estimated at the beginning of the year. And I've yet to get through December.

The month started out with The Nix, the debut novel by Nathan Hill which has been receiving a lot off positive reviews. In it Hill flips back and fourth from the 1968 Chicago protests and 2011 in a desperate search for the truth behind why his mother abandoned him at an early age. In between Hill takes on politics, the media and addiction as well as other aspects of society. It's a well-spun tale and I quite enjoyed reading it.

Next up was the auto-biographical I Am Brian Wilson of Beach Boys fame. This was somewhat of a scattered affair but an interesting read nonetheless. Wilson - or his ghostwriter - however is no Hemingway.

Then it was on to one of my favourite authors, Ian Rankin and his latest tale of now retired Inspector John Rebus, Rather Be The Devil. I never tire of these stories and this is the 21st in …