Skip to main content

I Close My Eyes And I Listen - @Studio30Plus Writing Prompt



June and Bob had spent months planning their annual hike along the Trans Canada Trail. Not the whole trail, of course. 14,000 miles in a long weekend was absolutely impossible. Over the last several years the adventurous couple had hiked several sections of the trail. Last year it was Prince Edward Island, the first province to complete its trail. The year before they'd hiked a section of the Trail in Alberta. This year, June and Bob had decided to hike Gatineau Park, virtually in their own backyard.

And so, on October 11, at the beginning of Canadian Thanksgiving long weekend, they set off from Tache Boulevard into the Park. The sun was shining and it was warm for this time of year not to mention this time of the morning. But their backpacks were light and their gait swift at the outset of their journey.

Bob was quite pleased with himself this day. There was a time when he was overweight and sedentary, a smoker and lover of fast-food. But after June's persistent admonishments Bob had finally got his act together. Sure, he was still no Charles Atlas but he was in a lot better shape than he used to be. And no one could be happier than June who now had an eager partner in her outdoor excursions.

"Look at those colours" said Bob as he took in the fall's panorama. "Aren't they lovely?" replied June.

And so they walked on until mid-afternoon at which point June turned to her husband and asked "Are we lost?" "Could be" replied Bob.

"Have you got the compass?" said June. "Don't need a compass" said Bob. "I've hiked enough now that I just close my eyes and listen. The sounds of the woods tell me which way to go."

"Well, open you eyes Einstien" said June. "I don't think they told you you're standing in a brook."


Comments

ReformingGeek said…
I hope he brought his waders!
nonamedufus said…
Unfortunately no.
Kir said…
The friendly, marital banter was perfect. You could see June rolling her eyes and feel the cold creep of water into those new hiking shoes.

I liked the easy flow of this story, the way it almost told itself.
Laura Alonso said…
Ha ha great ending!
nonamedufus said…
Thanks, Laura. It's kind of the hiking version of men not stopping to ask for directions.
TMW Hickman said…
Lol. Everyone needs a compass in the deep woods. And a sense of humor!
nonamedufus said…
I don't know about everyone but Bob certainly needs one.
Ashley Kagaoan said…
Hahahahaha. That is hilarious. And October 11 is my bday! Yay! Love this short comical piece.
nonamedufus said…
Hey, Happy Birthday then. I'm a month early but so what.
nonamedufus said…
Exactly. We men don't do things like that.

Popular posts from this blog

Tales From The Supermarket

Bob and Brenda worked in the supermarket. They weren't check-out clerks. And they weren't stock-boys. Brenda sure wasn't. And they weren't employees who worked in the fish section or the deli. No. They were on the shelves.

They hadn't been on the shelves very long but in that short time they'd developed a considerably close friendship.

The chatted all day when the store was busy and at night when the store was closed. They talked about everything. The talked about what raw products they came from. The talked about their manufacturing processes. And they talked about the long routes in semi-trailers that brought them to this store.

Oddly enough the one thing they never made clear to one another was just what product each of them was.

One day when Brenda was commenting on their friendship she told Bob she was grateful for their amity. "Are you Tea?" said Bob, pekoe-ing her way. "I thought I was Tea". You're coffee!"

This week's Tw…

My Back Pages - November

I read five books last month bringing my year to date total to 61, well past the 50 I estimated at the beginning of the year. And I've yet to get through December.

The month started out with The Nix, the debut novel by Nathan Hill which has been receiving a lot off positive reviews. In it Hill flips back and fourth from the 1968 Chicago protests and 2011 in a desperate search for the truth behind why his mother abandoned him at an early age. In between Hill takes on politics, the media and addiction as well as other aspects of society. It's a well-spun tale and I quite enjoyed reading it.

Next up was the auto-biographical I Am Brian Wilson of Beach Boys fame. This was somewhat of a scattered affair but an interesting read nonetheless. Wilson - or his ghostwriter - however is no Hemingway.

Then it was on to one of my favourite authors, Ian Rankin and his latest tale of now retired Inspector John Rebus, Rather Be The Devil. I never tire of these stories and this is the 21st in …