Skip to main content

Bibliofile - October


Well, here we are in early November and time to take stock of last month's reading.  Let's see, we were at 85 books at the end of September. Add 7 more in October and that's, um, carry the four and…oh, yeah, 92 books this year with 2 months to go. Safe to say I'll likely pass 100. A far cry from the 30 I projected at the outset of the year.

I started out the month with Stephen King's latest, actually a sequel to The Shining, called Doctor Sleep. Typical King "edge of your seat" kind of novel. It doesn't quite compare to The Shining but I still loved it.

I read a couple of musical autobiographies. The first by the late Levon Helm. The second by Graham Nash. Fans of The Band and Crosby, Stills & Nash will enjoy these. I did. And of course my CD collection grew as I read each one.

I also read the first two books in the There Goes The Galaxy trilogy by blogging body Jenn Thorson. If you like science-fiction with a humouristic twist then these are for you. In spots I laughed out loud. Which is okay because I'm usually alone when I read during the daytime.

I have to mention an interesting book called The Girl by "the girl" at the centre of the Roman Polanski rape case. It was a fascinating read.

And I closed out the month with another sequel. This called Sycamore Row by John Grisham which follows up on the main character from 1989's A Time To Kill. Excellent read. Grisham for me is one of those "go to" authors that never disappoint. Like King, Lehane, Follett, Rankin, Archer and several others who's next book I always anticipate.

So here's the list for October...

Doctor Sleep - Stephen King
This Wheel's on Fire - Levon Helm
There Goes The Galaxy - Jenn Thorson
The Purloined Number - Jenn Thorson
The Girl - Samantha Geimer
Wild Tales - Graham Nash
Sycamore Row - John Grisham

A fairly eclectic collection, to be sure. What are you reading these days? Any recommendations?

Comments

Screaming Me-Me said…
I often say, I just don't have time for reading. Which isn't true, I read all the time --non-fiction. Your list here gives me some great ideas for getting back to fiction. Thanks!
nonamedufus said…
The majority of what I sad this month were recent releases. I've got to get back to my detective novels by Crais, Mankell and R.J. Ellory.
Linda Medrano said…
I'm in the middle of "Sycamore Row" and loving it.
Nora Blithe said…
Hey! I know Jenn Thorson! Have you read the Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin? Blew my mind. I can't think about reading (or writing for that matter) in the same way.
nonamedufus said…
It's so well written isn't it? I zipped right through it.
nonamedufus said…
I've read all 5 books. I loved the series. I enjoyed it so much I stayed away from the TV series because I was sure it couldn't live up to the books. Then I was convinced to watch the first season on DVD and was blown away by the acting, the production values and how close they actually stuck to the books.
Bryan G. said…
So it looks like part of the month was sequels: Doctor Sleep and A Time To Kill, which that one I didn't know had a sequel to it until I read this post. You're lapping me on the number of books read this year. I'll be lucky if I get to my goal of 75. I've hit a lull lately, but hope to pick it back up at Thanksgiving.
nonamedufus said…
Both "sequels" were excellent reads. But I guess I'd call them both "next in the series" as opposed to sequels, even though they've been promoted as such.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies