Skip to main content

My Back Pages - September




The five books I read in September raised my yearly count to 44 books - 6 away from my anticipated 50 books by the end of the year. I'm sure I'll make it.

I started the month out with a new thriller from Michael Connelly called The Late show. It's about a women cop who works the night shift. This is a new character for Connelly who is better known for his Harry Bosch series. Nevertheless this was an enthralling page-turner.

I then picked up Mississippi Blood by Greg Iles. This is the third and final book in the Natchez Burning trilogy. Somewhere along the line I missed one of these but was nevertheless able to follow the overall gripping story about race relations in the south.

I then moved on to the Rules of Civility by Amor Towles a coming-of-age tale about a mid-twenties woman in New York in the late 1930s. Having enjoyed his second book A Gentleman in Moscow I felt I had to go back to his first novel. I wasn't disappointed.

For a change of pace I read Al Franken - Giant of the Senate. Franken's a former comedy writer from Saturday Night Live who decided to go into politics. A left-leaning liberal, and proud of it, he was successfully elected as the Democratic Senator from Minnesota. He's got some wonderful anecdotes from both careers but I found after awhile there was only so much Al Franken I could take. So this was a bit of a meh.

I managed to squeeze in one more book before the month was out, the ninth in a series of Nero Wolfe detective stories Black Orchids, which was actually two stories in one. My intention is to get through the entire Rex Stout canon although it may take me awhile as there are a total of 40 books.

In terms of what I've been watching, Ray Donovan is back and so is Designated Survivor. The Good Doctor is a new show that demonstrates promise.

In terms of music I purchased too much to list here but let me say I really like The War On Drugs new CD and discs from the Secret Sisters and Lilly Hiatt.

That's it for me this month. What about you?


Comments

Anonymous said…
I read seven books this month, matching my best month of reading, January, this year. Best book this month? The Lost Book of The Grail by Charlie Lovett.
Bryan said…
Oops. Last comment was mine.
nonamedufus said…
Seven books Bryan? Way to go!

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies