Skip to main content

Odd Couple of Things



You know what's odd? Odd is Canada's two all news channels rebranding themselves and building zippy sets to appeal to younger viewers some years back only to attract advertisers to the over 60 set. If I see one more add for a stair lift, a walk-in bath, I've fallen and I can't get up alarm or a Chip flip mortgage I'm going to throw something at my 50" Panasonic. That'd be odd.

Although maybe I'll soon need a stairlift to get me upstairs to my walk-in bath all bought with proceeds from my Chip flip mortgage! Now that would be odd.

You know what else I find odd? Those ad strips across the bottom third of You Tube videos. It's not enough most videos now start with an unstoppable 30 second ad. No. And TV networks have picked up on the idea and it's very distracting when you're watching something, especially sports, when it blocks out the puck, the basketball or the golf ball. Oh, I hate when that happens. Now that's odd.

You know, I bet soon there'll be ad strips across ads. That'd be really odd.

While we're on the matter of media you know what else is odd? The letting go of reporters and editors from newspapers, television and radio news operations - sometimes the shutting down of papers and stations themselves.That's really odd. Why? Because who the hell's going to hold big government and big business to account?

I for one would be willing to put up with stair lift ads in bands across the bottom of my screen if only we could retain decent investigative journalists. Isn't that odd?

Over at Studio30+ the prompt is quirky/odd this week, hence the quirky post.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies