Skip to main content

Bibliofile - July


You know when asked on Goodreads at the start of the year just how many books I intending reading this year, I modestly (modest - that's me) indicated 30. As July came to a close I hit the 69 book mark (a bit of a pun there) with an additional 10 volumes in the seventh month of the year.

I actually thought I'd fall off this month, what with the warm weather, the opportunity to golf and the fact that Mrs D started her holidays at mid-month and we spent a lot of time together. But no, I seemed to zip through these books like a house on fire.

Among my reading highlights last month was The Wrecking Crew by Kent Hartman who offers a look at rock and roll recording secrets in Los Angeles in the 60s and 70s. The "wrecking crew" refers to a group of accomplished session musicians that included folks like Glen Campbell and Leon Russell. These guys were called in to lay down music tracks for groups like the Beach Boys, the Association, Union Gap and so on while the group members themselves continued touring, laying down the vocal tracks when time permitted. Turns out many groups through these two decades, if they recorded in LA, went through this practice. A fascinating book.

On the fiction side, I undertook several novels that have just recently come out and pretty much found all of them interesting and enjoyable. Among them I really, really enjoyed The Ocean at the End of the Lane, The Kings and Queens of Roam (by the guy who wrote Big Fish) and The Quarry. The latter was written from the view of an 18 year-old who's father is dying of cancer and his former university friends gather at his place on a weekend. It's kind of like The Big Chill.

And of course, I couldn't let the month go by without a book by my newest favourite story teller, R.J. Ellory, or a couple of "hard-boiled" detective novels. On the latter I read the first book by Henning Menkell and of course, to keep up with my blogging, book-reading buddy, Brian G. Robinson, (you know, Edward G.'s son?) I read Lee Child's 5th Jack Reacher novel. I'm trying to keep ahead of Bryan on this series but boy he's a fast reader.

So here's what I read in July...

- The Wrecking Crew - Kent Hartman
- TransAtlantic - Colum McCann
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman
- Shell Shocked: My Life With  the Turtles, Flo and Eddie, etc. - Howard Kaylan
- The Kings and Queens of Roam - Daniel Wallace
- The Other Typist - Suzanne Rindell
- Faceless Killers - Henning Mankell
- A Quiet Belief In Angels - R.J. Ellory
- The Quarry - Iain Banks
- Echo Burning - Lee Child

How about you? What have you been reading lately? I'm looking for recommendations.

Comments

Bryan G. said…
I think by now that I'd be Edward G.'s grandson, but hey, thanks for making me older than I am? Of course, I probably do the same for you in terms of age. What are you now, in your 80s? ;)


For the record, I've finished the first six Jack Reacher novels so you better get going there, pal. :) BUT I've only read 55 books so far this year and you're beating me in the overall category so I can't pick on you too much...I still can pick on you, but not too much. :)
"The Wrecking Crew" sounds like a perfect summer read to this 60s person from LA who loved all the groups mentioned. Nobody talks about The Association any more! I posted about Leon 2 yrs ago when he was touring w/ Dylan. He still has the magic of 40 yrs ago.

I'm currently reading 2009's "Sunnyside" by Glen David Gould; historical fiction about the turn of the 19th into the 20th century's teen years with Charlie Chaplin and the movies as the centerpiece. This guy can write. Picked it up because I loved his previous novel, "Carter Beats the Devil".
nonamedufus said…
I have to catch up on the Reacher novels, yeah. What slows mr down are the Ellory books. While a great read they're long - over 700 pages. On the other, there ar days I feel like 80.
nonamedufus said…
The Wrecking Crew was great...and insightful. And yes I'm a Leon lover. That tune with Elton and Neil on Elton/Leon's album was fabulous. Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll look into it.
meleahrebeccah said…
damn - good for you! I can't seem to find the time to read very much these days - I am hoping after my brothers wedding on Saturday - things will slow down enough over here for me to dive into a good book!
nonamedufus said…
Reading's become an addiction for me.
meleahrebeccah said…
That's a good addiction!
Jayne said…
You put me to shame! But I did read Neil Gaiman's book and LOVED it. The Wrecking Crew sounds interesting. I worked at Wally Heider recording in San Francisco during that time period. I've got a bunch of books just waiting for me on my Nook. Currently reading John Green's "The Fault Is In Our Stars," totally wonderful, and just finished the new Sedaris book, Talking About Diabetes to Owls, which was hysterical. I love to read, but can only seem to find an hour or so at the end of the day. Kudos to you, my friend!
nonamedufus said…
It's easy when you have a lot of time on your hands, Jayne. Though golf has been interfering somewhat lately.
nonamedufus said…
And a relatively safe one.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies