Skip to main content

Uh, Honey What Smells?

We live in the lap of luxury in the dufus household. We own two cars, watch two TVs, use two laptops and best of all we have two fridges.  It kinda reminds me of that old sign in the window of the barbershop when I was a little kid "Two barbers. No waiting." But I digress.

When we renovated our kitchen we bought a new fridge. We got rid of the fridge and the freezer we had in the basement. And we moved the old kitchen fridge to the garage.

A second fridge is great for beer. It's not so good for food. Because what happens is you forget about the food. Outta sight, outta mind as they say. You see we often use that second fridge to store leftovers ad vegetables - two things I'm not so keen on. But don't tell Mrs. Dufus. Don't get me wrong. My wife is quite the cook. She's a regular Chef Ramsey in the kitchen - minus the curse words...well, most of the time. But to me something delicious the first time around sometimes loses it's appeal when chilled or frozen and then re-heated.

And so it sits. And the longer it sits, the more it gets forgotten and the more it gets forgotten the more it starts to go bad and the more it goes bad the more it starts to smell.

We have milk and yogurt months past their due date. We have green peppers that once were red peppers and blue peppers that once were green peppers. We have green hot dogs and mouldy bread. And we have stuff that looks like this...

Who knew my wife was a biologist?

Yes, that's right. We have quite the collection of what I refer to as "high school science experiments". Now I try and do my part. Every once and awhile I'll let Mrs. D know our food has taken a turn for the worse. Isn't that nice of me? I mean, who knows, she might be keeping that stuff for some reason I'm not aware of. She may want to use some of it. I don't know, like, maybe as a unique table centre piece?

Anyway, look what I found to make her life easier. A handy dandy guide of when to throw food away. And you (Mrs. D for example) can print it out and paste it on the fridge door. Just look at this...

click to enlarge

I can be like that from time to time - helpful.

It's how I roll.

No need to thank me, honey.

You're welcome.

Comments

Ziva said…
I was planning on having yesterday's dinner for luch tomorrow, but that's such pretty high school science experiment you have there that I might just give the leftovers a few more days to stew.
Nonamedufus said…
Oh, yeah, stew. You should see the green fuzz we have on our stew, Ziva! Yummy.
meleahrebeccah said…
The graphic is awesome - but, um, maybe YOU could clean out the refrigerator too? :)
Nonamedufus said…
But that's the point. Now that we have the graphic we know when to dispose of the 3 month-old yogurt.
Nonamedufus said…
Oh, I see. You mean ME!? I don't do fungi
Brett Minor said…
We eat everything. If you can't see mold, it must be good.
Nicky said…
You know, it's posts like this that make me envy Mrs. Dufus. Seriously. Lucky her, she's close enough to smack you right now. :-)
nonamedufus said…
Although, I am a fun guy. (lol)
nonamedufus said…
You mean you eat with your eyes closed? That can be dangerous.
nonamedufus said…
She wouldn't hi... OUCH!!!!!
Quirky Loon said…
I was trying to eat lunch yesterday when I first "saw" this post. I had to quickly click away. heh heh

This was a hella wella fun AND gross post! :)
Nonamedufus said…
I'm...having...trouble...typing...today. Mrs. D...punched...me...in...the..arm...last...night...several...times...after...reading...this...post. It's...about...as...purple...as...some...of...the...food...in...that...fridge!
Quirky Loon said…
heh heh

Oh, wait, I'm NOT supposed to chuckle, right?
Nonamedufus said…
Well, depends on whose side you're on.

Popular posts from this blog

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy! ...

Hello Goodbye

Today a bit of a reflective piece. Rather than being funny, this is  about the funny. It's a day of mixed emotion at nonamedufus . You see, after several months of inactivity I've dropped a couple of former blogger buddies off my blog roll. I kept hanging on and hanging on hoping they'd return to active blogging but, alas, after waiting in one case five months I've decided to let them go. I'm going to miss - going to? I have been missing - Margo at the Screaming Me-Me . She was one funny lady. From time to time she and I would engage in a feud or two for several days at a time but it was all in fun both for us and, I think, for our readers. And we'd leave each other funny comments, poking fun at each other. I miss her friendship and our humorous exchanges. The other blogger I'm letting go is Chelle, The Offended Blogger . Chelle was a special lady. In addition to her own blog she created and managed Humor Bloggers Dot Com where humour bloggers like m...

The Dangling Conversation

There's a debate underway in my household between my wife and I. I say "underway" because it hasn't quite reached the "raging" stage. If you want raging, my wife (a Francophone) and I (an Anglophone) from time to time (usually in a weak moment of my own making) slip into our number one discussion around why we don't speak more French at home - ergo - when am I, a former public servant who learned French at the expense of our gracious taxpayers and was technically rated bilingual (even though I hardly used it), going to improve my use of Canada's other language? This one never gets resolved, hence it's ongoing nature. But the current debate is over a remark I casually made the other day. I'm no geek, but with a lot of time on my hands I surf the web, converse on Facebook and such and - I have to admit - "I'm nonamedufus and I'm a Twitterholic". In an epiphany-like moment I was struck by the apparent impact of social networkin...