Skip to main content

It's All About Me!


I'm facing a dilemma. (That's dilemma, not dill enema.) My darling wife doesn't want to do anything special for Valentine's Day. I asked her if she'd like to go out for dinner. Thoughtful, right? Actually a tapas restaurant sent me an e-mail suggesting I make a reservation for Valentine's. Some years I'll completely forget about the day of love until it's too late. Thanks to that tapas restaurant, though, this year I was way ahead of myself. But no, my beloved isn't interested in going out.

Okay. So I'll save some money on skipping a romantic dinner. And besides, when you think about it what is Valentine's Day all about anyway. The guy - or guys - it was named after was killed. Yep. There were 3 guys all named Valentine and they were martyred. So, like, we're celebrating their deaths? No, well, history tells us one of them started this whole lovey-dovey day business by sending his jailer's daughter a note - now get this - "from your Valentine". Clever, right? It didn't go over very well with the girl's father, though. No. It all ended rather badly. Surprising how far one has to go to be considered a saint.

Over the years this guy's death, and that of his namesakes, has made Hallmark, Cadbury and FTD all filthy rich. That's right. Every year, the entire guy population around the world spend their hard earned money on cards, chocolates and flowers. All in the name of love. Ha! All in the name of guilt, I say. They're worried that if they don't buy these gifts to demonstrate their undying love - their attestations of amour, if you will - their wives, girlfriends and significant others will be hurt. And where will that lead? No sex for you!

No fear of that in my house. That's because I show my love everyday in every way. Well that's it, isn't it? Why else would my wife want to skip a fancy dinner?

I know. I know.

Because I'm so romantic the other 364 days of the year, she wants to spend a quiet evening at home with me where she's going to shower me with affection and love and a whole bunch of other stuff I won't mention here. That's it, right? Now it's going to be my turn, huh?

Hey. A guy can dream can't he?

Happy Valentine's Day, honey.


Comments

Quirky Loon said…
Well uhm... thanks for sharing? HA!

You're a hoot!

And I know the real reason why your wife wants to stay home.... Teen Mom2 anybody?

Kidding! (It's on MTV, cuz I know you never know what shows I'm talking about and I'm a walking t.v. guide heh heh)

Happy Valentine's to you both!
Jayne said…
Love that card. And you get lots of points for trying!
nonamedufus said…
Well I guess Teen Mom2 is better than The Walking Dead...as far as TV shows go. Can't say I've seen either. Mrs.D is just a little north of 50 and I'd have to say she looks more like a teen than dead. I'd have to...or she'd kill me. Happy Valentine's, Quirks.
nonamedufus said…
I loved that card too. And, yes, I can be trying. Which is why I'm dumbfounded Mrs D. still loves me.
Jayne said…
It's no mystery to me. We all love you, Duf!
Brett Minor said…
Love the card. I may use that one in the future. You have the advantage of a stress-free Valentine's Day that most men would kill for. Make the most of it.
Vaguemax said…
I dunno, I trust Gen. Ackbar. It's a trap!
Shawn said…
Walking Dead is amazing!
Shawn said…
First Valentine's Day. At first I believed her when she said she doesn't believe in the marketing and we should celebrate everyday. II'm sure it was a ploy! But I was smart enough to buy a card and flowers.
meleahrebeccah said…
That card rocks! Happy Valentine's Day.
nonamedufus said…
Nah, it was no trap. Just a nice quiet evening, snuggled up watching TV.
nonamedufus said…
I thought that card was a hoot!
nonamedufus said…
We had a great weekend getaway so we planned on a nice quiet Valentine's. We just celebrated a few days in advance is all.
Nicky said…
Happy (belated) Valentines Day, Dufus! Hope you enjoyed your "hubba hubba" holiday :-)
nonamedufus said…
Hubba, hubba, indeed. We spent the weekend in Montreal. Thought of giving you a call but, hey, three's a prelude to a divorce. Hope you and Jepeto had a wonderful day.

Popular posts from this blog

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy! ...

Hello Goodbye

Today a bit of a reflective piece. Rather than being funny, this is  about the funny. It's a day of mixed emotion at nonamedufus . You see, after several months of inactivity I've dropped a couple of former blogger buddies off my blog roll. I kept hanging on and hanging on hoping they'd return to active blogging but, alas, after waiting in one case five months I've decided to let them go. I'm going to miss - going to? I have been missing - Margo at the Screaming Me-Me . She was one funny lady. From time to time she and I would engage in a feud or two for several days at a time but it was all in fun both for us and, I think, for our readers. And we'd leave each other funny comments, poking fun at each other. I miss her friendship and our humorous exchanges. The other blogger I'm letting go is Chelle, The Offended Blogger . Chelle was a special lady. In addition to her own blog she created and managed Humor Bloggers Dot Com where humour bloggers like m...

The Dangling Conversation

There's a debate underway in my household between my wife and I. I say "underway" because it hasn't quite reached the "raging" stage. If you want raging, my wife (a Francophone) and I (an Anglophone) from time to time (usually in a weak moment of my own making) slip into our number one discussion around why we don't speak more French at home - ergo - when am I, a former public servant who learned French at the expense of our gracious taxpayers and was technically rated bilingual (even though I hardly used it), going to improve my use of Canada's other language? This one never gets resolved, hence it's ongoing nature. But the current debate is over a remark I casually made the other day. I'm no geek, but with a lot of time on my hands I surf the web, converse on Facebook and such and - I have to admit - "I'm nonamedufus and I'm a Twitterholic". In an epiphany-like moment I was struck by the apparent impact of social networkin...