Skip to main content

Sometimes Relationships Can Be Complicated



Women. Sometimes you can't live with them. And sometimes you can't live with them. Don't get me wrong. I love my wife. Madly. And I simply can't live without her. But if I were to believe everything I read I'd think women are...how shall I put this? Flighty?

Two articles I came across last week gave me pause. And good thing for me that anything that gives me pause usually ends up in a post on my blog.

And men, consider this a public service. Oh, yes, I'm more than happy to share with you helpful hints I've found to make your lives easier...no, no, no strike that...make your relationships more rewarding.

The first article was headlined "Women think blokes who are 'too nice' are cheating". Now c'mon. Get real. But no. A study found that two thirds of women surveyed became suspicious if their partner made grand romantic gestures. What kind of gestures? Well, here are the top 20:

1.            Buys jewellery
2.            New moves in the bedroom
3.            More emotional
4.            Buys flowers
5.            Buys chocolates
6.            More attentive
7.            Buys sexy underwear
8.            Book a romantic weekend away
9.            Buys you more things
10.          Helps more with the chores
11.          Tells you he loves you more
12.          Makes breakfast in bed
13.          Pays more compliments
14.          Texts more
15.          Does the cooking
16.          Calls more
17.          Listens better
18.          Runs baths
19.          Hand over the TV remote
20.          Cuddles more
 
Don't worry, honey. I've been warned. As much as I'd dearly love it, you'll never catch me doing any of these things. I know I used to. And I actually did more than one a day sometimes. But I shouldn't anymore for fear of giving you the wrong idea. I'm sure you understand. Far be it from me to give you the impression I've been cheating. I'll just keep on watching TV in my underwear while cracking open a couple of cold ones you've brought me. What's for supper?


But wait. There was another article I came across that made me pause. Yeah. This one involved a covert study of parking lots across Britain. Yeah, that's right. "Covert". Using hidden cameras, researchers determined that women were far better at parking than their male counterparts. Well that makes sense. They should be good at parking because most of them certainly don't now how to drive!


Woah, woah, woah. That's not my opinion. No, I saw it on the internet.




You can bet none of these women will be on the receiving end of jewelry, chocolates, flowers or new moves in the bedroom from their husbands.

Comments

I can't wait until a few women read this to see their opinions. As for me, naturally being a man, I love it! Keep up the good work, Noname :).
nonamedufus said…
What? I'd just hate to give women the wrong idea.
Quirky Loon said…
Harumph.

Somebody must be upset that the Giants won yesterday.

Harumph.

*grin*
nonamedufus said…
The Giants are a bunch of girls. How the hell did they win? And now somebody'll probably be giving them chocolates and flowers. Although, I'm not sure about trying something new in the bedroom.
nonamedufus said…
The Giants are a bunch of girls. How the hell did they win? And now somebody'll probably be giving them chocolates and flowers. Although, I'm not sure about trying something new in the bedroom.
Linda Medrano said…
My husband has always done all that stuff. He's cheating, hmm? Whatever.

He has put a dent in the new car already. Backed into a post. Hmmm.

I'm glad the Giants won! You don't like them? Hmmm.

(Brits say "hmmm" a lot.)
nonamedufus said…
I've been doing all that stuff too. But now I just don't want to give Mrs. D the wrong idea, you know?

The Giants? Hell, I lost interest when the Packers lost. Hmmm.
Juneohara65 said…
Funny, I always say, "Men. Can't live with them, can't live with them." Anyway, while you're downing beers in your underwear watching tv, make sure you belch a lot. Loudly. That'll further your cause.
nonamedufus said…
Hey, that's not nice. Sure, and you're probably the kind of woman who thinks all dumb-blonde jokes are one liners so men can understand them too.
Michael Wolfe said…
I told you if we let them vote, they would inevitably want to drive.

But you wouldn't listen.
Nicky said…
You know, I think Mrs. D needs to start a blog. Somehow, I think we'd get a very different view of life Chez Dufus.
Boom Boom Larew said…
Damn... if my ex had done some of the things on this list, we might still be married. (And for the record... he couldn't park, either.) Keep doing what you're doing, Dufus and all will be well!
nonamedufus said…
When will I ever learn? But they promised sex!
nonamedufus said…
Sounds like a lot of work. are you sure she won't get the wrong idea?
Nicky said…
Hey! My comment disappeared!! What's up with that? Stupid Disqus!! It never even bought me flowers or chocolates and it's already abandoned my comments for others!

You know, Pickles, you talk a good game but I'd really like to hear what Mrs. D has to say about all this. :-)
nonamedufus said…
DISQUS can be like that. You know, Cheese Chick, Mrs D won't be commenting. You see she's at a loss for words. I got her a chain saw as an early Valentine's Day present. We're low on chopped fire wood. I'm quite a guy, eh?
Ziva said…
Well shit. M's clearly cheating on me.
nonamedufus said…
Sorry you had to hear it from me, Ziva.
Brett Minor said…
It is hard to know what they want. I was taught to open car doors for my woman and pull out chairs, but found that many women are offended by that. So, I changed it. Then, I was perceived as not being a gentleman. After years of being confused and trying to 'do the right thing,' I eventually decided the best bet was to be me, do what I thought was right and respectful and wait for the woman that appreciates it and wants to be with a man like that.

It saved me a lot of grief.
nonamedufus said…
Tell me about it, Bret. Your approach is to be commended and sounds a little like the Man Prayer of Red Green: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."
Shawn said…
I made breakfast in bed once.
I spilled the pancake batter all over the sheets.
Vaguemax said…
Would have been nice to know yesterday. I booked a B&B that is putting a rose and chocolate on the bed, has a small kitchen for me to make breakfast. I got her a ring this morning, and went to Victoria's secret. Basically I'm hitting 13 of the list this weekend. Wish me luck..
meleahrebeccah said…
Well since I am single I never have to worry about being cheated on!
nonamedufus said…
Yeah, I was thinking that if you want to light up your love life and heat up things in the bedroom you could try a flambé in bed. Might be disastrous though.
nonamedufus said…
Oh, geez, is it too late to cancel?
nonamedufus said…
Heck, Meleah, you're no fun.

Popular posts from this blog

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy! ...

Hello Goodbye

Today a bit of a reflective piece. Rather than being funny, this is  about the funny. It's a day of mixed emotion at nonamedufus . You see, after several months of inactivity I've dropped a couple of former blogger buddies off my blog roll. I kept hanging on and hanging on hoping they'd return to active blogging but, alas, after waiting in one case five months I've decided to let them go. I'm going to miss - going to? I have been missing - Margo at the Screaming Me-Me . She was one funny lady. From time to time she and I would engage in a feud or two for several days at a time but it was all in fun both for us and, I think, for our readers. And we'd leave each other funny comments, poking fun at each other. I miss her friendship and our humorous exchanges. The other blogger I'm letting go is Chelle, The Offended Blogger . Chelle was a special lady. In addition to her own blog she created and managed Humor Bloggers Dot Com where humour bloggers like m...

The Dangling Conversation

There's a debate underway in my household between my wife and I. I say "underway" because it hasn't quite reached the "raging" stage. If you want raging, my wife (a Francophone) and I (an Anglophone) from time to time (usually in a weak moment of my own making) slip into our number one discussion around why we don't speak more French at home - ergo - when am I, a former public servant who learned French at the expense of our gracious taxpayers and was technically rated bilingual (even though I hardly used it), going to improve my use of Canada's other language? This one never gets resolved, hence it's ongoing nature. But the current debate is over a remark I casually made the other day. I'm no geek, but with a lot of time on my hands I surf the web, converse on Facebook and such and - I have to admit - "I'm nonamedufus and I'm a Twitterholic". In an epiphany-like moment I was struck by the apparent impact of social networkin...