Skip to main content

Art Imitates Life

It's happened to many of us, for whatever reason.  What?  Sleeping on the job.  However, for those of us it's happened to, we haven't had to suffer first national media attention, followed by international viral attention.

George Robitaille is a Toronto Transit Commission ticket taker.  A customer caught George napping at his post and snapped a picture with his video camera, e-mailed it to friends and from there the situation mushroomed.




Transit Commission users have complained.  The city's in the midst of a race for a new mayor and this has provided grist to the mill in arguments over how TTC service needs to be improved.

It has also provided the basis for one of the funniest political cartoons to have appeared since Prime Minister Harper prorogued Parliament.  This week, this cartoon appeared in the Toronto Star.




Robitaille has gone to great lengths to apologize to TTC customers and his bosses.  No word yet from Stephen Harper.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hee hee. I like it.

And I cant begin to count the number of days that I slept on the job.

Hee hee. Still do.
Ed & Jeanne said…
Obviously he needs a visit from the fun committee in his company...
nonamedufus said…
Quirks: I remember in my younger days staying up much too late enjoying myself to the point I couldn't stay awake at work the next day. Now a days it's a normal occurrence...and I don't even work...and I don't even have to stay up late!
nonamedufus said…
VE: He's the head of the fun committee!
Me-Me King said…
I never slept on the job. I did sleep at school, in church and at the wheel, but never on the job.
Donnie said…
Unfortunately, too many of these goofing off instances go unnoticed. Perhaps if more people would post pictures then somebody may get something done to clean up their waste.
nonamedufus said…
Me-Me: That's good to know.
nonamedufus said…
Don: Can I send a guy with a camera over this afternoon?
Chris said…
Hey! Luc! Tell your dad to wake up!

Okay, next to nobody's gonna get that, but I don't give a shit.
Gotta feel sorry for the dude. The actual dude, I mean, not the prime minister dude. I barely make it through most days without dozing off myself.
nonamedufus said…
Mr. K: Yep, right over MY head.
nonamedufus said…
Mike: Yeah, you've got to feel sorry for the guy. The actual guy not the prime minister guy.
Chris said…
Jeez, Dufus, you're Canadian, right? I thought at least YOU'D get it...

The sleeping dude's last name is Robitaille.

Luc Robitaille? NHL Hall of Famer? One of about three good L.A. Kings in history?
nonamedufus said…
Mr. K: I was going for the quote not the name. Just couldn't figure out where you were going with that. Got it!

Popular posts from this blog

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy! ...

The Dangling Conversation

There's a debate underway in my household between my wife and I. I say "underway" because it hasn't quite reached the "raging" stage. If you want raging, my wife (a Francophone) and I (an Anglophone) from time to time (usually in a weak moment of my own making) slip into our number one discussion around why we don't speak more French at home - ergo - when am I, a former public servant who learned French at the expense of our gracious taxpayers and was technically rated bilingual (even though I hardly used it), going to improve my use of Canada's other language? This one never gets resolved, hence it's ongoing nature. But the current debate is over a remark I casually made the other day. I'm no geek, but with a lot of time on my hands I surf the web, converse on Facebook and such and - I have to admit - "I'm nonamedufus and I'm a Twitterholic". In an epiphany-like moment I was struck by the apparent impact of social networkin...

30 Days of Photos III #4 Sour

Check out Ziva's Inferno for the rest of today's photos.