Skip to main content

Oprah Fried Chicken

Now I ask you, does it look like this woman needs any more chicken - grilled, fried or otherwise? No, I think not. And she may have just set race relations back a decade by shilling for Kentucky Fried Chicken. But I digress.

If you're not aware of what I'm referring to, allow me to hallucinate. KFC has come out with a new line of "grilled" chicken. Commendable, considering they've only now decided to hop on the "eat healthy" band wagon that their competitors reluctantly initiated about 15 years ago. Enter Oprah. In an act of kindness (yeah, right, there's a deal in there somewhere) Mrs. Television directed viewers to her website where they could download coupons for a free grilled chicken meal.

The promotion was so successful KFC ran out of chicken in some centres and had to issue rain cheques. Over a matter of days KFC issued over 4.5 million free meals before having to temporarily suspend the promotion. Nevertheless, KFC says it's extremely happy with consumer response. All I can say to KFC is be careful what you wish for. Oprah used to give away cars and look at what's happened to that industry!

Comments

I saw a commercial with some doofus saying they had to suspend the deal. I had no idea what they were talking about till now, because I make it a point to ignore everything Oprah has to say.

*tries to think of something humorous to say about KFC*

...nope, too easy.
Anonymous said…
Ack! Now I feel having me some fried chicken (forget the healthy grilled stuff)!

Ha!
Donnie said…
I tried to redeem that coupon. They were out of chicken here too, but I don't think it was Oprah. I think it was payday.
Jeff Tompkins said…
LOL. Great last line.
nonamedufus said…
CB: It wasn't this dufus!

Qyuirky: Bleck, I wouldn't touch that stuff.

Don: Timing is everything.

JT: That's exactly where all this was going. Thanks!
Mike said…
I wish Oprah would mention me on her website.

If it's oprah approved, it's gold, even if i make fun of fat housewives.

Just cuz Oprah said it was good.

She's fucking brilliant.
nonamedufus said…
Mike: And she's such an easy target.
Don said…
I tried to redeem that coupon. They were out of chicken here too, but I don't think it was Oprah. I think it was payday.
nonamedufus said…
CB: It wasn't this dufus!

Qyuirky: Bleck, I wouldn't touch that stuff.

Don: Timing is everything.

JT: That's exactly where all this was going. Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy! ...

Hello Goodbye

Today a bit of a reflective piece. Rather than being funny, this is  about the funny. It's a day of mixed emotion at nonamedufus . You see, after several months of inactivity I've dropped a couple of former blogger buddies off my blog roll. I kept hanging on and hanging on hoping they'd return to active blogging but, alas, after waiting in one case five months I've decided to let them go. I'm going to miss - going to? I have been missing - Margo at the Screaming Me-Me . She was one funny lady. From time to time she and I would engage in a feud or two for several days at a time but it was all in fun both for us and, I think, for our readers. And we'd leave each other funny comments, poking fun at each other. I miss her friendship and our humorous exchanges. The other blogger I'm letting go is Chelle, The Offended Blogger . Chelle was a special lady. In addition to her own blog she created and managed Humor Bloggers Dot Com where humour bloggers like m...

The Dangling Conversation

There's a debate underway in my household between my wife and I. I say "underway" because it hasn't quite reached the "raging" stage. If you want raging, my wife (a Francophone) and I (an Anglophone) from time to time (usually in a weak moment of my own making) slip into our number one discussion around why we don't speak more French at home - ergo - when am I, a former public servant who learned French at the expense of our gracious taxpayers and was technically rated bilingual (even though I hardly used it), going to improve my use of Canada's other language? This one never gets resolved, hence it's ongoing nature. But the current debate is over a remark I casually made the other day. I'm no geek, but with a lot of time on my hands I surf the web, converse on Facebook and such and - I have to admit - "I'm nonamedufus and I'm a Twitterholic". In an epiphany-like moment I was struck by the apparent impact of social networkin...