Skip to main content

Befuddled Bob




It was getting worse. The store-bought milk was piling up in the oven. And the fridge was full of toothpaste and shampoo.

Bob and Betty had lived a long and loving life together. They'd been married for 63 years and then last year Betty died. Breast cancer. But she went quickly and for that Bob was grateful.

But since Betty's death Bob turned into a different person. He was alone now. Had no one for companionship or to help with the little things and provide for him. He cooked his own meals. When he remembered to do so.

He had become very forgetful since Betty's death. He'd stopped shaving for example. The children remarked upon it. But of course they had busy lives of their own and didn't have much time to look after their addled father. Think of that song The Cat's In the Cradle" and you'll kind of get the idea.

And so Bob spent most of his days in a daze, if you'll pardon the pun. And for some reason there was no toothpaste or shampoo in the bathroom.

This week's Two Word Tuesday prompt was addle/daze. 

Comments

ReformingGeek said…
Poor Bob. His best daze are behind him.
nonamedufus said…
Carol: Too true.
Janna said…
Yes, poor Bob.

Also, now I have Cats In The Cradle stuck in my head.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
nonamedufus said…
Janna: Well it beats toothpaste and shampoo in the cradle.
Paula Wooters said…
To be honest, I'm kind of wondering where Betty ended up. It doesn't addle up.
nonamedufus said…
Paula: Betty's passed on, she is no more, she has ceased to be. She's expired and gone to meet her maker.She's stiff, bereft of life, rests in peace., pushing up the daisies. Her metabolic processes are now history. She's off her twig, kicked the bucket. She's shuffled off her mortal coil.

Popular posts from this blog

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy! ...

The Dangling Conversation

There's a debate underway in my household between my wife and I. I say "underway" because it hasn't quite reached the "raging" stage. If you want raging, my wife (a Francophone) and I (an Anglophone) from time to time (usually in a weak moment of my own making) slip into our number one discussion around why we don't speak more French at home - ergo - when am I, a former public servant who learned French at the expense of our gracious taxpayers and was technically rated bilingual (even though I hardly used it), going to improve my use of Canada's other language? This one never gets resolved, hence it's ongoing nature. But the current debate is over a remark I casually made the other day. I'm no geek, but with a lot of time on my hands I surf the web, converse on Facebook and such and - I have to admit - "I'm nonamedufus and I'm a Twitterholic". In an epiphany-like moment I was struck by the apparent impact of social networkin...

30 Days of Photos III #4 Sour

Check out Ziva's Inferno for the rest of today's photos.