Skip to main content

My Back Pages - April



I managed to read five books last month raising my year-to-date total to 19 books, pretty much on track towards my estimated 50 books this year.

I started out with a Tom Wolfe novel originally released in the late 90s, A Man In Full. I think this was referenced in something I read in March and I decided to try it out. Taking place in 1990s Atlanta it was an interesting read about business, real estate development and inter-racial relations. I enjoyed it and rated it 4 stars.

Next up was number 21 in the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly, The Wrong Side of Goodbye. In it Harry is charged with hunting down an heir to a an elderly multi-millionaire on his private eye ticket while investigating a series of home invasion rapes for the San Fernando Police Department. A busy man? Yes, but of course he solves both cases with a little help from his half-brother the Lincoln Lawyer. A good read and another 4 stars.

The third book I read this month was Emily Schultz's new novel, Men Walking on Water. It takes place during prohibition and is about rum-runners in Detroit who use the Detroit River as their highway. This nourish novel complete with a diverse cast of characters didn't garner a very good review in the Globe and Mail but I quite liked it. It made me turn the pages and I gave it 4 stars.

Rounding out the month were two Rex Stout Nero Wolfe novels, number 5 - Too Many Cooks - and number 6 - Some Buried Caesar. I enjoy this Nero Wolfe series about the corpulent private detective as told by his trusty assistant Archie Goodwin. They're light and quite humorous. I have a ways to go though. Stout wrote over 30 of these stories. Each of these rated 4 stars.

Until next month...happy reading.

Nonane's Books

Comments

I just started rereading the Nero Wolfe series myself. I have the second one out from the library now. I don't know if I read all of them, but did read a lot in high school and college. The Harry Bosch series also is among my favorites. I haven't finished Season 3 yet on Amazon (unlike you), but I did enjoy the first two seasons. This one isn't grabbing me like the first ones did, but I'm finding that with a few shows right now we're watching.
nonamedufus said…
Did you watch Big Little Lies? We enjoyed that.And still hanging in with Designated Survivor. Waiting for next seasons of Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Ray Donovan and The Affair.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies