Skip to main content

Photo Challenge - July

The prompt this month was "baseball" and for a while I wondered just how I'd illustrate it. But then one day on an errand I happened to pass by the city's former Lynx Stadium. The Ottawa Lynx used to be the Montreal Expos AAA farm team and in 1995 they won the International League Championship only two years after they began playing. I witnessed that win and remember fondly taking my kids to Lynx games. In 2007, however, new owners moved the team to Allentown, Pennsylvania.

All that remains is an empty ballpark, used mainly by local teams for tournaments.






When the Expos folded the Lynx began an affiliation with the Baltimore Orioles from 2003-2006 and ended their Ottawa days affiliated with the Philadelphia Phillies in 2007. But in their 15 seasons in Ottawa the Lynx never came close to those heady days in the mid-1990s.


Be sure and visit  P.J.'s blog and see what the rest of this month's participants developed. (See what I did there?)

Comments

ReformingGeek said…
Ah, the memories baseball can make for us.

Nice job!
nonamedufus said…
Yeah, it was a sad day when the Lynx left town because I remember all the work the original owners undertook to build the stadium and attract the team here. Ah, well.
The No Food or Beverages window is absolutely incredible. My favorite out of the bunch. I love your pix... I especially love the angle of the first shot. Excellent job!
nonamedufus said…
That sign was on the entrance to the stadium and I think it meant game-goers had to leave their personal food and drinks outside because the park, after all, sold food and drinks...at exorbitant prices of course.
Lisa said…
Love the architecture of the first shot and the perspective of the empty seats. Great selection this month!
nonamedufus said…
It's a great looking ballpark, Lisa. It's just too bad it doesn't have a regular tenant.
babs (beetle) said…
I'm having just as much of a hard time commenting on these as I had taking my photos. I'll do better next month :)
A defunct ballpark is difficult to repurpose. Glad the local teams are still making use of it. (It was probably the no food or beverages admonition that brought it down.)
nonamedufus said…
Well, that's what certainly did it for me.
GeoKs said…
Thanks for sharing some of your local baseball history. Despite the fact you sort of stumbled on the subject matter, you clearly have a great eye for composition - especially the fist image with the statue and the stadium. You told a great story this month, showcasing five photos that highlight very different aspects of the same "thing" - I guess that's what photo blogging is really all about and you've given me something to think about as I ponder August's "colourful" theme.
nonamedufus said…
Thanks, GeoK. We spent many weekends at this park for a while. It was fun watching some of the players before they were called up to the Expos and others who were sent down to the farm team.
babs (beetle) said…
I am sometimes.... honest :)
P.J. said…
Very cool work here. I like the history, too. As a Phillies fan, I remember the year the AAA team was in Ottawa before the move to Lehigh Valley. Interesting that you can get into the stadium. But definitely a cool look at how it is now.
nonamedufus said…
Thanks, P.J. You know I don't think I was supposed to be in there but the entrance was unlocked and I took several furtive shots of the field before nipping back out. Brought back memories.
nonamedufus said…
Well I believe you, Babs, if you say it's so.
P.J. said…
Did you see that baseball is supposed to return to Ottawa in 2015?

Popular posts from this blog

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy! ...

Hello Goodbye

Today a bit of a reflective piece. Rather than being funny, this is  about the funny. It's a day of mixed emotion at nonamedufus . You see, after several months of inactivity I've dropped a couple of former blogger buddies off my blog roll. I kept hanging on and hanging on hoping they'd return to active blogging but, alas, after waiting in one case five months I've decided to let them go. I'm going to miss - going to? I have been missing - Margo at the Screaming Me-Me . She was one funny lady. From time to time she and I would engage in a feud or two for several days at a time but it was all in fun both for us and, I think, for our readers. And we'd leave each other funny comments, poking fun at each other. I miss her friendship and our humorous exchanges. The other blogger I'm letting go is Chelle, The Offended Blogger . Chelle was a special lady. In addition to her own blog she created and managed Humor Bloggers Dot Com where humour bloggers like m...

The Dangling Conversation

There's a debate underway in my household between my wife and I. I say "underway" because it hasn't quite reached the "raging" stage. If you want raging, my wife (a Francophone) and I (an Anglophone) from time to time (usually in a weak moment of my own making) slip into our number one discussion around why we don't speak more French at home - ergo - when am I, a former public servant who learned French at the expense of our gracious taxpayers and was technically rated bilingual (even though I hardly used it), going to improve my use of Canada's other language? This one never gets resolved, hence it's ongoing nature. But the current debate is over a remark I casually made the other day. I'm no geek, but with a lot of time on my hands I surf the web, converse on Facebook and such and - I have to admit - "I'm nonamedufus and I'm a Twitterholic". In an epiphany-like moment I was struck by the apparent impact of social networkin...