Skip to main content

Putting Around in Panama

I was taking things easy Tuesday. It's my chemo pill day so I stuck close to the condo and didn't play golf with my brother-in-law Jean-Marc and his friend Christiane. It gave me time to read up a little on Manuel Noriega. You know, the former military governor of Panama who was trained by and worked for the CIA, ran drugs, killed people and now wastes away in jail after finally being extradited to his homeland after trials and jail terms in both the United States and France? Yeah, that's him.

Noriega not a happy camper when captured.

Did you know that when the Americans invaded Panama in 1989 and surrounded the Vatican Embassy where he was holed up in an operation called "Nifty Package" U.S. Navy Seals blasted rock music at deafening levels in an attempt to get him to surrender? Do you know what song they played over and over again? I Fought the Law and the Law Won by the Clash. It must have worked. He surrendered.

On Wednesday, I fought the golf course...and I won. With Tuesday being a wash out and in outings previous to then I never finished all 9 holes, yesterday I managed to complete the course. The temperature here is in the mid 90s, so unless you start early the heat'll really get to you by about the 6th or 7th hole. Well it got to me. But yesterday we started at 8am...my brother-in-law, his friend and my nephew Pierce.

For a 9 hole course, this is pretty challenging. Here's a few shots.

Look at that friggin' water hazard I had to hit over!

Nephew Pierce seems to like the beach.

Christiane seems to like the water.

More water on the challenging par-3 7th hole.

Jean-Marc and Christiane on the final hole.

You know I'm awfully spoiled. It's just not gonna be the same when I get home and have to go the indoor Golf-O-Max and hit balls up against a video canvas. 

Oh, well. 

Spring is almost here.

Comments

Quirky Loon said…
Ha! Look atchoo! And this blasting music thing... I totally feel the power of it. Last night my son regaled me with ten straight minutes of rap.

I almost blew a fuse.
nonamedufus said…
Didn't go golfing until 9:15 this morning. I got as far as the 7th hole and had to call it a day. Hot, hot, hot!
Lindamedrano said…
Panama is too hot for me. I'm glad you're feeling better than you were on Tuesday. I think it's time you come home though.
nonamedufus said…
Soon enough, Linda. There's still a few cervezas to get rid of.
Nicky said…
It was a balmy 6 degrees here in Montreal. Just sayin'.

Glad you're enjoying yourself!
nonamedufus said…
I knew your heat wave wouldn't last. Here it's all heat all the time. Whew!

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies