Skip to main content

Hemoglobin

Well one of the possible effects of my chemo drug is a drop in my hemoglobin. And, indeed mine dropped, increasing my anemia. My levels dropped from 98 yesterday to 86 today. Normal hemoglobin levels are between 120 and 160. So it's back to the hospital tomorrow for a transfusion - 2 units of blood over 4 hours. This morning's 4 hour hydration session came off without a hitch.

Guess who showed up to drive me home - Maryse! Fresh from a day's (and red-eye) flight from Yellowknife via Calgary and Toronto. What a trooper (and sweetie!).

The days immediately following the chemo are fairly routine, save for the possibility of nausea. However, the time period I'm apparently most at risk of complications is when my white cells start to decrease significantly. This starts several days after chemo and continues for about 10-14 days. It is during this period that I may be more susceptible to infections and fever.

Book: The Way It Works - Inside Ottawa by Eddie Goldenberg

Music: The Best of Talking Heads by Talking Heads

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy! ...

The Dangling Conversation

There's a debate underway in my household between my wife and I. I say "underway" because it hasn't quite reached the "raging" stage. If you want raging, my wife (a Francophone) and I (an Anglophone) from time to time (usually in a weak moment of my own making) slip into our number one discussion around why we don't speak more French at home - ergo - when am I, a former public servant who learned French at the expense of our gracious taxpayers and was technically rated bilingual (even though I hardly used it), going to improve my use of Canada's other language? This one never gets resolved, hence it's ongoing nature. But the current debate is over a remark I casually made the other day. I'm no geek, but with a lot of time on my hands I surf the web, converse on Facebook and such and - I have to admit - "I'm nonamedufus and I'm a Twitterholic". In an epiphany-like moment I was struck by the apparent impact of social networkin...

30 Days of Photos III #4 Sour

Check out Ziva's Inferno for the rest of today's photos.