Skip to main content

Biblofile - October/November



Illness prevented me from reporting on my reads from October so I'll use November's update to report on both.

I read four books in October. The Vinyl Dialogues by Mike Morsch is a collection of stories about some memorable albums - and some not so memorable - by the artists who made them. Interesting for music lovers such as myself. We Are As The Times Are was written by a friend of mine, Ken Rockburn, about Ottawa's well-known and highly regarded - and long-gone - coffee house Le Hibou where many Canadian and American folk acts hit the stage. An enjoyable read. Kenneth Anger wrote Hollywood Babylon a collection of salacious tales about the dark side of Hollywood. Fascinating reading. And I rounded out October with If He Hollars Let Him Go written by Chester Himes in 1945 which looks at racism in the United States. Sadly not a lot has changed in 2015.

I started November out with Further Adventures of a Grumpy Rock Star by Rick Wakeman, former keyboardist for Yes, Strawbs and other progressive rock collectives. This guy is extremely funny and his second volume of reminiscences didn't disappoint. I read the Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz, the fourth book in the Stieg Larsson Millenial trilogy series. The effort was approved by Larsson's estate and it's an excellent read. Fifteen Dogs by Andre Alexis just won Canada's prestigious Giller Prize for best fiction and was pretty interesting. Dogs are given human voice and the novel centres around a collection of 15 dogs and how they cope. I ended the month with Dylan Goes Electric: Newport, Seeger, Dylan and the Night That Split the Sixties by Elija Wald. The interesting aspect about this book was it's historical take on the folk music scene leading up to Dylan and his music and that unforgettable appearance at 1965's Newport Folk Festival. I really enjoyed it.

Here are the books I read and their ratings:

The Vinyl Dialogues ***
We Are As The Times Are *****
Hollywood Babylon ****
If He Hollars Let him Go ****
Further Adventures of a Grumpy Old Rock Star ****
The Girl in the Spider's Web *****
Fifteen Dogs ****
Dylan Goes Electric ****

I've read 57 books this year. I'd estimated I'd probably read 75 books in 2015 but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. C'est la vie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies