Skip to main content

Obama & Friends (2)

In 1989, Shepard Fairey (b. 1970) began to paste stickers all over town (New York?) with a face and the mysterious message "Andre the Giant Has a Posse" or "Obey Giant" . Since then, his palette, geographic range and activities have increased enormously, and when he offered to support Barack Obama's campaign with some posters in January 2008, he readily got permission from Obama to do so. Within a day, he had finished a design, one with the text "PROGRESS", and another with "HOPE".

A first print run of 350 was sold out within minutes for $ 45 a piece, and, much to Fairey's annoyance, resold on ebay for a lot more. Wall Street Journal began to track the ebay prices, they quickly shot up to $ 3'000, and reached $ 10'000 in June. In July, a mixed media painting done by Fairey in the same style as his "Hope" poster, sold for $ 108'000. By July 31, about 200'000 sticker versions of the original Obama poster had been printed.

The strong, simple poster hit the nerve of many graphic designers. And soon there were many satiric imitations. Some of them are below. The rest are here











Comments

Phils Phun said…
G'day nonamedufus
Greetings from down under
Came across your site via Bits and pieces
Top notch.
Hope you don't mind if I steal some of your stuff
Cheers

Popular posts from this blog

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy! ...

The Dangling Conversation

There's a debate underway in my household between my wife and I. I say "underway" because it hasn't quite reached the "raging" stage. If you want raging, my wife (a Francophone) and I (an Anglophone) from time to time (usually in a weak moment of my own making) slip into our number one discussion around why we don't speak more French at home - ergo - when am I, a former public servant who learned French at the expense of our gracious taxpayers and was technically rated bilingual (even though I hardly used it), going to improve my use of Canada's other language? This one never gets resolved, hence it's ongoing nature. But the current debate is over a remark I casually made the other day. I'm no geek, but with a lot of time on my hands I surf the web, converse on Facebook and such and - I have to admit - "I'm nonamedufus and I'm a Twitterholic". In an epiphany-like moment I was struck by the apparent impact of social networkin...

30 Days of Photos III #4 Sour

Check out Ziva's Inferno for the rest of today's photos.