Skip to main content

The Big Day is Coming

Yesterday Maryse and I went to the Bone Marrow Transplant Clinic at the General Hospital and learned what's in store for me next week and beyond.

It all starts next Tuesday at 8am when we go to Admitting. I'm not entering the hospital next week, but will likely have to at some point in the future, as early as a week later due to fever or infection.

Next I'll have a PICC line installed (peripherally inserted central catheter) in my arm. PICCs can remain in your arm for between 6 months and a year and facilitate intravenous chemo and other medications as well as the taking of blood samples. This seems the better route to go than regular short intravenous needles each time I need to provide a blood sample, given that I'll be visiting the hospital on a daily basis at the outset, then 2-3 times a week, once weekly and finally once monthly.

After the PICC is installed I receive my last and highest dose of chemo - a drug called Melphalan. In clearing out any remaining cancer cells, this drug results in decreasing my white cells, lowering my hemoglobin and decreasing my platelets. So a blood transfusion may well be necessary a day or so later.

That's it for Tuesday. Wednesday is described as a day of "rest". Then the stem cell infusion is scheduled for Thursdat October 11 at 1pm.

Then the hospital visits to monitor my vitals and take blood samples begin on a daily basis.

While this varies on a patient-to-patient basis, somewhere around the 7 to 10 day mark I'll likely be admitted to the hospital for up to 2 weeks or so to deal with fatigue, infection or fever or a combination there of. This actually could occur at any point, night or day, hence the pre-admission exercise Tuesday.

Full recovery of the immune system usually takes about 6 months. Early on, apart from fatigue fever or infection, the biggest concern is mucositis or serious mouth sores and pain as a result of the chemo. Beyond 6 months the threat of viral pneumonia remains a concern.

And of course, after all is said and done, with a recovered bone marrow and immune system, the cancer should be gone. Keep your fingers crossed for me!


Book: Hickory Wind - The Life and Times of Gram Parsons by Ben Fong-Torres


Music: Kill to Get Crimson by Mark Knopfler

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funnies

The Polka Dot Door

A long time ago, when I was 22, my first child was born.  That kid grew up on a little Canadian kid's show called Polka Dot Door, produced by the TV Ontario network.  And Dad, more often than not, sat through those shows with his little one. Nine or so years later when a brother, and a year after that when a sister came along number one son was moving on to Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazzard.  But there was a nice overlap where his siblings picked up where he had left off with Polka Dot Door.  And Dad was right there to welcome them. So you're looking at a Polka Dot Door veteran.  The show began in 1971 and ran to 1993.  I didn't watch the full run but I did get in my fair share.  The formula was pretty simple.  A young male and female host, which seemed to change every week, sang songs, told stories, made crafts and generally did their best stimulate little brains.  The show opened as follows... Imagination Day!  Oh boy!  You know what happens on Imagination D

SuperBowl Ads

Well, the game didn't go my way, but some of the American Super Bowl Ads (found at: http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads ) turned my crank... Diet Pepsi Max Super Bowl Ad: Wake Up People Ginseng & Caffeine Bud Light Wine & Cheese Party Super Bowl Commercial Bridgestone Tire Super Bowl Commercial: Squirrel vs Car Garmin Nuvi Super Bowl Commercial: Napolean Finds His Way w/ GPS Bud Light Super Bowl Ad: Immigrants with Carlos Mencia Planters Nuts Super Bowl Commercial: Woman Attracts Men w/ Nuts Pepsi Stuff Super Bowl Commercial: Justin Timberlake Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial: Cave Man Invents Wheel Coca Cola Super BOwl Commercial: Parade Balloon Victoria's Secret Super Bowl Commercial with Adriana Lima Book: Clapton - The Autobiography by Eric Clapton Music: New Seasons by The Sadies